Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Quarantine Day 9 (11?) All you never wanted to know

Thanks to all my faithful readers!  I take a break for months at a time and you guys KEEP coming back!!

I am blessed with the best imaginary friends ever!

JRE - my kids are so helpful!  There are just some things I don't let them touch. :)  If you ask my son, he'll say "I'm the backbone of this household!" Plus he found Robb's bagpipe sweatshirt yesterday!!!  Who knew Robb had hung it up?! a sweatshirt??
Sam - you are so faithful!  AND you're in the same part of the country as me!  Some day....  we're going to meet up for coffee. or a donut if I'm not dieting.
Michelle, Anne, Rachel, Practical Parsimony and others - so encouraging and caring!
I value every single one of you!

And Anne!!  This post is being created today because of your question about my canning equipment.

Robb gave me an electric canner for Valentines day, the day before he passed.  I started looking up recipes to try mid March to pass the time.  I had a lot of time and it kept me busy.  When we had the twins here, I needed something to do in the kitchen because I was on the main floor a LOT.

I joined some canning groups on Facebook and gradually settled on some Rebel Canning groups as they appeared to be less judgmental and I just didn't need people telling me what I can or can't do.  I'm being safe, but if you say that something is NOT safe because I don't add a teaspoon of salt to it or jump backwards 3 times before cranking the lid on like USDA says I should do, forget it.

My mom canned tomato sauce all my life living at home and if I had tomatoes that I wasn't sick of canning, I'd do it the way she always did.  According to these ladies though, they'd kick you out of their fruity little club if you so much as mention any process that doesn't coincide with their ideas of what's safe.  If you're one of these people, please don't be offended by my comments!  I can be snarky.

The Rebels are safe too, just not as preachy about it.  Cultures all over the world have waterbathed and pressure canned for generations before USDA came along with their notions.

SO anyway, enough on my soapbox.  ON TO what I do with my canner!!!

I loved my electric canner so much that when I saw another on sale, I got it.  Nesco and Carey are made by the same company now so it's virtually the same machine and same instructions.

 


The items on the left are my pressure cookers, NOT to be confused with pressure canners.  They prep my food, like making bone broth or cook food, but the pressure canners seal the deal.

One of my favorite things to make and was a huge hit for Christmas presents this year was pulled pork.  Maddy gave me the recipe for this one.  PULLED PORK RECIPE.

Sorry about the cat butt. Kevin!!!!


It was SO delish so I tried canning the end product.  I was convinced that it would probably end up really dry but I was really surprised and it was so good!  I even mailed a pint to my boss in Florida, who loves to eat every part of a pig, his words.  He sent me a picture of his plate with the pork on it and enjoyed it for a few meals!

Before

After

I guess he liked it!  I'll have to send him one every Christmas now.

So... make the pork loin recipe in the Instant Pot for 90 minutes as the recipe states.

THEN put it in jars, fill up to an inch headspace with leftover broth and pressure can for pints (75 minutes) or quarts (90 minutes).  These are the meat times.  If there is ANY kind of meat in a recipe, can for these times.

I cut up a corned beef and peeled and cut up some potatoes, then canned for those times and WOW the best corned beef hash I ever had!  Most expensive, but it was worth it.

Note to self: watch for corned beef on sale...

Other things I like to can a lot is bone broth, any type.  Right now I've got turkey bones making broth in the Instant Pot for 180 minutes.  I threw in the bones, a couple stalks of celery, some green onions, salt, pepper, a couple bullion cubes and a splash of apple cider vinegar. 

Then I'll strain it thru some kitchen towels and pour into jars, wipe some vinegar on the rims and can for pints (30 minutes), quarts (35 minutes).  

I reuse the lids and whatever jars I can get my hands on.  Until the lids are damaged, there is no reason not to reuse them.  They're pricey.  I'm pretty sure that's why some people say they're only a one time use item.  NOT ME!  Follow the money... Ball and other lid companies are making a killing... 

Something else that my kids appreciate (except Leon) is Burritos in a jar. A combination of dry beans, brown rice, cooked hamburger or raw chicken chunks, rotel, taco seasoning and broth to round it out, then canned.  Just heat up and serve on taco shells or tortillas.  Add your favorite taco toppings and voila, dinner is ready.  This is a main staple of our Taco Tuesday dinners.  All the kids come here for that.  Of course it's been on hold with the quarantine fiasco...  Can't wait to start it up again!

I'll post that recipe some other time or you can google it.  I have made adjustments to the recipe and left out the rice, increasing the meat.

I've also canned potatoes, carrots, pineapple, made my own maraschino cherries, rice, soups, stews and other things.

I got up early and got some stuff going before work today. 1) the turkey broth  2) made sugar free jello in half pint jars - stuck in fridge - just enjoyed one.  3) made Holiday in a jar. explained below.

It's my first time ever making this, so I'm sure I'll make adjustments next time.  I thawed a turkey over the last few days and last night cut as much meat off as possible and cut it into chunks and refrigerated until this morning.  I also baked the rest of the carcass and legs and wings for the rest of us for supper.

1) In a jar (either size), fill about half way with raw turkey chunks.

2) pour in some slightly watered down gravy and run a butter knife along the inside sides of the jar to work out any air bubbles in the meat section.  

3) add a layer of mashed potatoes that I made last night.  Or don't.  Your kitchen, your rules.

4) fill up the rest of the jar with stuffing.  I took a box mix and added 2 T melted butter and some hot water until it was JUST moist but not soupy.  Stuff the jar full to the 1 inch headspace.

5) wipe off rims with white vinegar on a paper towel and cap them.

6) pressure can for meat times. pint (75) quart (90)

This is how they came out.  I may decrease the amount of turkey next time.  Not sure.  We'll see if they seal properly.  If not, then we're having Christmas for dinner again tonight!!!

Anyway, that is my adventures in canning so far.  I've used my electric canner for steam bathing, which is basically the same thing as water bathing.  The instructions come with the canner.

If you are looking for a new hobby that will also benefit you in the long run. Get one of these!

Also I love being able to set it and after flipping the little dial to seal, I can forget about it for 90 minutes or more.  I don't need to babysit the stove and make sure the pressure is exactly right all the time.  It's all done for me.

So those were all the PROs.  Here is a some CONs.  (not many)

1) they only fit 4 quarts in each one OR 5 pints OR 7 half pints.  I have two so if I'm on a roll, I can fill them both up.  But still.  If I had a stove top one, I could probably do 30 at a shot.  Maybe not, but 4 seems like a low quantity.  For me, it's fine.  How ambitious am I going to be at 7am?

2) They will add to your appliance collection on the counter.  Eventually I'll get a cabinet to keep them in, but will they ever just go sit in it?  Probably not.

I think that's it.  They make it easy to can things.

And just to finish the post, a little funny for you.

:) but I'll wait to crack into these until I've reached my dieting goal. 

or given up. 

or am in a bad mood.

3 comments:

SAM said...

I love the winter canning! For the tiny amount I can, I'm a hot water bath girl too and no one has gotten I'll for 40 years eating my jams and tomatoes.

Meg B. said...

I LOVE to can. I *almost* purchased a steam canner several years ago, but opted out. I have a combination water bath/pressure canner. I pressure can anything in quart jars, because it's quicker to get that little amount of water to pressure than it is to get huge amount (2 inches over the tops of the jars) to a rolling boil with a hot water bath. I also pressure can anything with tomatoes. The only low acid thing I can are green beans--again, pressure canned. I don't know anyone who has purchased an electric canner because we all can SO much in one batch...but we are intrigued by them.

Anne in the kitchen said...


I do water bath canning (illegally since I do it in a stock pot) but had never pressure canned. Since there are just the two of us here small batch canning would work perfectly well for me. Thanks for the info!

BTW, my mother in law canned everything using the water bath method, and none of us died, and she taught me how to make jellies and jams and seal them with paraffin. I think I would qualify for membership in the rebel group.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails