Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Funny family

I'm still working on the wedding dresses in all my spare time, well... except in the evenings. Hopefully will have some major progress done by this weekend that I can show.  However, I'm trying to keep my head above water and get my Storyworth story done every week.  Here is this week's installment.

***********************************

Who are the funniest people in your family?

First and foremost, Robb’s humor caught me off guard and I loved it!  He had a rare sense of humor that always seemed fresh, even when he repeated jokes or phrases that he found funny.  He was surprised that I always laughed.  And how could I not?  He made wacky roses are red poems, always made cooking fun, teased the kids and me. He could quote from movies and make them his own...  Because if you hadn't seen the movie, how would you know?  And if you HAD seen the movie, then you'd grin.  Up until Ryan saw Stripes, he thought all his dad's lines were original.

   Robb got it from his dad, who had the driest sense of humor.  Early in our marriage, George drove behind me on the highway as we were all headed to Audubon after a family reunion in Omaha.  When we got to their place, he mentioned that I must have colored well in kindergarten because I stayed in the lines perfectly on the highway.  :) I think I was so nervous to be driving ahead of my father-in-law, I was being EXTRA careful.

   I was talking with one of my sisters several years ago who suddenly stopped the conversation and said, “You’re funny!  I never thought that before but you are!” :) The perks of being a baby sister.  No one pays attention until you’re a grown up.

   And talking of sisters, Ruth Ann always cracked me up.  She is a year older than me and we did a lot of growing up together.  Even when punching each other in the shoulder, causing bruises, we’d be laughing.

Growing up, I never thought of my parents as funny.  But looking back now, my dad’s stories about pranks he pulled on co-workers are and were hilarious.  The feather phantom, Hi-Jack stories.  He was so funny.
My mom…  A month or two before she passed and her dementia was having a good day, I was visiting with lots of nieces, nephews and my kids.  She went around to each kid complimenting their hair.  I mentioned that she’d failed to compliment mine and she said, “No… I didn’t…” lol!
   Ryan was a hilarious child, keeping us on our toes with his quick wit and unintended humor.  The time Milianna informed him of his body parts on a play date still makes me laugh.  As Mil and her mom drove away, he ran across the yard toward the street yelling, “Goodbye!  Goodbye!  I’ve got a penis!!”
Robb and I were big fans of Calvin and Hobbs and knew that our son would be just like Calvin. and he was/is. The time he left us a voice mail using his Irish/Scottish accent, calling me lassie… when his Ty toy armadillo gave birth on his bed via caesarian section, the only kind he was familiar with.   
Maddy was just as funny, but not with caesarian stories.  When Meri was a baby, Maddy did ask if one of my breasts was chocolate milk.  At our house on Samson, we loved to play hide and seek.  Robb would put her on the top shelf and slide her little butt over past the edge of the door so we wouldn’t see her if we opened the door.  She sat still as a mouse and took the game very seriously.  On a Sunday morning, Robb would send her up to me, still asleep, and whisper “wassles” into my ear.  She loved my homemade waffle recipe.  When Gma became our live in nanny, Maddy would sneak off and call us at the office just to talk.  If we weren’t available, she’d leave a message. “This is Maddy… your OTHER daughter! Um, I love you and I love you! ❤️ ”
  Meri was so funny too! As a toddler, she ate a lady bug and dirt.  She had a fascination with worms of any kind and wouldn’t let you back out of the driveway unless she’d moved all the worms out of the way first.  She took pics of her pups in trees and on cars.  Once, Robb was driving the kids somewhere with their friends and Meri was torturing them with her Barbie that sings songs if you pushed a button on her back.  Robb confiscated the barbie and set it on the dash. A few seconds later, she started chuckling, “lol you can’t do ANYTHING without the accessories!…” like he was going to play with it up there!  
  Leon is the funniest grandkid, so far!  He used to have the room next to Meri and one time Meri awoke with “something” creeping up the ladder of her loft.  The thing reached the top and whispered, “Mewwee…  can you get me wawa?”  Another time, he creeped up unto our bed, snuggled up next to Grandpa’s neck, scared.  Robb asked him what scared him and he answered, “monsters!”  He had watched Monsters Inc that night.  Also he believed anything he saw on Tiktok.  Once he ran into the kitchen and asked if I had a paper bag and carrots.  Um sure.  He put the carrots in the bag, folded the top carefully and shook it vigorously.  Looked inside disappointed, saying he must have missed something. I asked him what he’d expected and he said a rabbit…  and for the record, an egg sitting in coca cola for 24 hours does, in fact, NOT turn into a gel toy.  
As for me, I’d like to think I’m funny but I AM forgetful.  For half these stories, I’m sure I’ve got the wrong kid labeled or crutial facts wrong.  But I’m probably just infuriatingly weird and that may come across as funny only by resulting in a nervous laugh from you.
   

2 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

It is great to have funny family memories!

Kathy said...

What fun stories and fun memories!
I had never heard of storyworth, what a neat thing to do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails