Friday, January 19, 2024

Off to a GREAT start!

 I was given a sourdough jar kit for Christmas and broke it out this last weekend with a "from scratch" sourdough starter.  After 5 days, I bit the bullet and made a loaf with some of the discard.  I'm SURE I'm doing this wrong...

But the bread is pretty good!  I probably need to pull it out of the oven a few minutes earlier next time.


I just joined a sourdough group on Facebook and will figure this out.

Anyway, it's been a crazy ride since early December!  In case you hadn't realized, we celebrated Christmas and New Years... I started a puzzle, lost some pieces and gave up on it by 1/15/24.  It was one I'd done before and somehow lost pieces the last time I attempted it too.  Where on earth are the rest of the sky pieces?!  Oh well.

I went out to eat with one of my widow friends and the restaurant happened to be at the same hotel that Robb and I spent the weekend before he passed at.  It was emotional for a bit.  And I've changed my hair conditioner since then and it isn't quite as staticky as that anymore. :)  


Afterwards, she and I attended a Candlelight Christmas Concert and it was beautiful!  We finally found the building and got inside TWO minutes before they locked the doors.  SO worth the run through downtown Des Moines in heels and freezing temps.  If you're the homeless couple we almost tripped over in a doorway, we apologize!



It was a rush trying to get everyone for a Christmas photo so we did a collage.  Here is Ryan and part of his crew.  The Christmas letters were finally mailed between Christmas and New Years and some were missed entirely. It was a 3 pager this year!


Leon getting all spiffed up for his school vocal program.  I agonized all afternoon, driving all over Des Moines to end up finding the shirt and pants at the Walmart, 2 blocks from his mom's.  He's wearing one of Robb's Christmas ties!  And he was one of maybe three kids (100 kids on stage) wearing ties.  Oh well, he looked great!


I LOVE this photo of Leon and his baby sister!  She's a LOT bigger now!


Aggie loved the Christmas tree and now the living room seems kind of naked without it, but there is definitely more room for her toys, which has done a good job of filling in the gaps.


I found the "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" toy that my kids had loved so much. 
She loves it too.


Meri and Aggie at Christmas


More Aggie and the tree pics.


And Aggie and me!
and the tree.  Thank goodness for BeReal, or I'd never have pictures of myself!


Christmas program at church.  It turned out really well.


Leon and I spent a day with Maddy and Matthew between Christmas and New Years, I had the week off.  We did so much that day!  Lego competition, with ourselves, at the library, 




We saw the movie, Migration, after lunch (so fun!), Bobo tea, mini golf, supper back at their house and then home again.  We'll need to do that again but maybe take a couple days next time.


And it finally snowed!!!  Middle of January, but it snowed more than a usual years worth all in 48 hours.  Mr Snow Plow man did us a solid and plowed 2.5 feet of solid, packed snow at the end of the drive.  It took over 2 hours to get it all cleared.  Then a few more times since, including once today from the 3 inches we got yesterday.


It can be spring now.  I'm ready.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I loved the pictures, but did not get a Christmas letter. Aggis so cute!

McVal said...

Oh CRUMB!!! I had an issue with the printer. Will check!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails