Thursday, September 10, 2009

Auction proceeds!!!

On Tuesday, Meri and I went to an auction in town. It was a crafters dream!!! Boxes upon boxes stuffed with JUST fabric! Boxes upon boxes of embroidery and knitting supplies... 10 sewing machines... sewing machine tables, oh my...

Lots of Redwing pottery and I was surprised, but the most expensive of those sold for around $50 and they were in excellent condition. They had a sewers crowd, not a pottery crowd apparently. I didn't purchase any of the good pottery. Just the cheapo $1.00 boxes

I ended up buying 3 sewing machines. One, we're told by the auctioneer, doesn't work. Oh well... I'll make sure I mark it that way, but I'll be trying them all out myself anyway.

I bought at least 3 boxes of fabric, one was really stuffed and I fought a lady for it. Got it for $20. The others for $5 and under.

The auctioneer kind of knows me now and when no one is bidding on a certain box, he looks at me and says, "How about it #96??? Want it for $1.00?" Sure... I'm sure something in that box will sell at the antique mall for more than that.

The end of the auction saw me with a full Freestyle and no room for an ancient trunk that I got for $1.00 and couldn't pass up. I had to call Robb and have him come over. It wouldn't fit in his car either, so I ran home with my car, emptied out the sewing machine table and came back to get his help loading the trunk in.

So... I spent a little time this morning pricing the $20 box of fabric. GUESS how much it's worth, if everything sells for what I priced it at? There are yards of green lace, white lace, (the 30 inch wide stuff, suitable for couture!), satins, corduroy, childrens soft cotton, Christmassy, 50s and 60s florals, ancient paisleys...

I just totaled it in my spreadsheet for todays tags and it came to $380. Approx 55 items.
Wow! I'm going to have to fight for the good boxes more often!

I've moved an old dresser that I had refinished for the kids ions ago already to the antique mall, so I think I'll load the drawers with the fabric and drape it around on the other shelves too. I'd better mark the drawers on the outside, so they know that there's stuff inside. Once I get the booth looking pretty, I'll take a pic for you.

I just IMed Robb and asked him to guess how much the $20 box added up to. He guessed $87 million. I said, Close... and then told him. He IMed back that we could invest the $380 into lottery tickets and then whammo - $87 million!

With that $$, we could afford daily chiropractic visits and our own massage table... Don't forget a masseuse! Hmmm... If only we gambled.... we don't. Unless of course, you count the money spent at the auction for my antique booth. I'm not going to tho. It's an investment.

7 comments:

Macey said...

Congrats on the goodies! I can't wait to see what you make with that fabric! :)

Carma Sez said...

You done good!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures of your antique mall shop. And great score on the fabric! You make me wish I had some talent and could sew.

Jen said...

Wow - goes to show that if you know what you're doing, there is money just sitting around out there - good luck! I'm envious :)

Southern Gal said...

Love auction boxes for $1. You make me miss auctions since I haven't been to one in probably 20 years. Great find! Hope it sells quickly for you.

Unknown said...

Good for you , gotta love a bargain !

A.Marie said...

Ooohhh..I love a good auction! Good job on the fight for the box...it is just amazing what is in those boxes! :)

Reminds me of an auction I went to a few years ago. I like to sell stuff on ebay, when I have time, and I spotted a set of candlesticks that I just KNEW would sell. Hubby was kind of laughing at me for buying them for a buck, but I had a feeling.....

I ended up selling them for $35.00...Guess who ended up laughing at who??!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails