Friday, June 18, 2010

Classic! and my standard...

This is a classic - plain white bread recipe because it says so in the recipe book... Oh and it's for a bread machine! This is my staple standard recipe that I make as often as I think of it. It's from The Electric Bread book, dated 1991.

I have a couple nieces and a nephew coming into town tonight that LOVE Auntie Val's homemade bread. (Say Auntie Val really fast and it sounds like Aunt Evil... really!)

So we were almost out of the last real loaf from the store, so I thought I'd throw a couple loaves in this morning. I've got 3 or 4 bread machines currently... I used to pick them up at garage sales and have even given one or two away. But they come in handy all at once when I need lots of bread fast... Like today.

I got all the ingredients out and realized I was low on white flour. In a pinch, I use a cup of wheat flour, so I do have some stashed away. But today, I was so low on all flour that I used 2 cups white and 1 cup wheat on one loaf and on the other 1 7/8 cups white flour and 3/8 cup wheat and then I panicked. Ok - I panicked when I realized I didn't have enough to complete a 3rd cup of any flour for this loaf... I could see it was coming as I filled the measuring cups but was in denial until the last little flour dust hit the cup.

I dug in my lower cupboards where I typically stick any extra bags of flour, sugar, instant mashed potatoes, etc.. and after rejecting protein powder and semolina flour I came up with a solution! I don't know why I bought this, but I've got a box of cake flour... So the 3rd cup was completed with that. I wonder how it's going to turn out!

Classic White Bread
for a 2 lb loaf
put in ingredients in the order they're listed.

3 tsp Yeast
2 Tbsp softened butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp dry Milk or add a little swig of regular milk to the water.
3 cups white bread flour - or whatever...
1 1/8 cup water - room temp - just not hot or too warm... trust me on this...

This recipe can be made with the regular, rapid or delayed time bake cycles.

On my machines it takes roughly 4 hours and the house smells fab!

11 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

I think the only difference between all purpose and cake flour is how many times it's been siffed. So your bread should turn out ok just lighter and fluffier than the others.
Oh how I love the smell of fresh baked bread!!!

Frances said...

I need to pull out my breadmaker and make some bread.

I use a white bread recipe similar to yours, substitute olive oil for the butter and add 2 tablespoons of dried Italian herbs. It is delish!

I also love, love, love raisin bread.

Macey said...

I love white bread...which is probably why I closely resemble a loaf of it.
Hey, have a good weekend Aunt Evil!!

slugmama said...

Aunt Evil....coincidence? Mmmm....lol

Heres a baking site with substitutes listed I've used before....handy thing to have bookmarked.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

I can smell your house from here! I want to take my butter stockpile and butter your roof....lol

Sonya Ann said...

It sounds wonderful! I guess I should start looking for a bread maker at a couple of garage sales. I also, need to look for a crock pot! I'm off to shop.
Have a great weekend!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That's the one thing I've always been too chicken to make...I bet it does smell amazing!

Annie Jones said...

LOL @ Sluggy. Nothing better than a house that smells like bread. :)

Liz said...

What good improv! :) Craig bakes our bread and uses a white-wheat mix, too.

And I can totally *hear* Aunt Evil when I say it - ha!

Pam said...

That sounds so good. Now I want homemade bread. The peanute butter pie recipe is on the thrifty things blog.

Carma Sez said...

I miss our bread machine after looking at that yummy photo. I will say that we were on carb overload when we had it though; constantly bingeing on bread :-O

Anonymous said...

The smell of freshly baked bread can only be beaten by the actual eating of it :)

The smell of fresh bread should be bottled and sold as hangover cures... with bacon!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails