Thursday, May 3, 2012

Memories of Ted

My Uncle Ted is a brilliant pianist and organist!  He has been mostly deaf for a good chunk of his life, but up until last year he could still bang out hymns or ragtime on a piano like nobodies business!
He is also a missionary.  Not overseas, but here at home, to anyone who would give him an ear.  For many years, he rented a small house behind a bar in the seediest parts of our city and would conduct Bible studies in his living room for homeless people.  He was one step away from being that himself but his siblings and their families would never let that happen.

Theodore, as he preferred to be called, graduated from Bethany College in Mankato, Minnesota.  He was in their choir and up until a year ago would enjoy hearing the Bethany choir on records as he sat with his eyes closed and his right hand making a sideways "L" under his chin and cheek with his left arm supporting the other, smiling.

When I was younger, my dad would tease him and say, "Ted!  When are you going to find a wife!!"  Ted always chuckled and replied, "This time next year, I'm sure I will have one."  He never did.  His sights were set on heavenly matters 110% of the time.  He really didn't have time for a wife.

At every family get together, he would go around to each nephew and niece and ask them what they were going to be when they grew up.  I think he was hoping for some ministers or teachers in the bunch.  We had a few...  One year my brother thought he'd be a smart aleck and told all of us to say "poets".

Ted really wondered what kind of trend was going on...

I won't tell you about my road trip that my sister and I took to a family reunion in Jeff City, Missouri.  Ted was in the backseat for the trip.  Let's just say the phrase, "It's hot in hell too!" was introduced to us...  Maybe someday I'll tell it, but not today.

When I was a teenager, our piano teacher retired, so we took piano lessons from Ted.  My mom drove us over once a week to his main floor apartment.  There were stacks of Bibles, music and various other religious type books all over his house.

Over the years, Uncle Theodore grew more and more deaf and his Alzheimers was starting to kick in.  It was hard to hold a conversation with him.  Especially when the first 10 minutes of each conversation was trying to remember which Johnson girl you were.  We all looked alike...

For several years, he lived with my parents.  It got harder and harder for them to care for him, when his spontaneous walks in the countryside would get him lost.  So a couple years ago, they felt that he would be better in a nursing home where he'd have 24 hour care and watchful eyes.

Anyway.  Uncle Theodore's life is ebbing right now.  The moment that he's been preparing for his entire life is coming to the climax.  Today he will see my Grandparents, Uncle Paul and Jesus Himself.  It's a happy day for him!  I'm really going to miss his smile.

Just waiting for the phone call.

4 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

He sounds like a great man.

Frances said...

McVal, what a sweet story. I teared up a bit.

Sonya Ann said...

Thank you for sharing his life with me. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Larri said...

Thanks for sharing your dear uncle with us. May his memory be eternal. (((HUGS)))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails