Monday, September 24, 2018

Still Bill and Other Low Tech Wonders

Friday: pizza night.  I made a cauliflower pepperoni pizza for Leon and half pepperoni/half hamburger pizza for Robb and me.  It was a quiet night.  And in my closet sorting, I found a VCR/DVR machine!!  I'd been hunting for one on freecycle a few months ago, but never did find one.  

Who knew?!  It was in my closet the whole time?!  

Sluggy probably did...

So now I have one VCR that only rewinds or fast forwards and one that only plays but turns off when you try to rewind or fast forward.  The perfect partnership!  But like all old electronics they're big.  My sewing table that I have set up in front of the bedroom tv is cluttered now.  dang.

Since Leon had gotten 100% on the second spelling test of his young life, I decided we were going to celebrate with a movie.

I had been trying to get Leon interested in some old scary movies for kids.  Last week, we finally forced him to watch The Goonies, and the Monster Squad.  After ten minutes of each, he let up the resistance and admitted that he liked them.  Towards the end, he LOVED them both dearly and wanted to re-watch as often as possible. 

Nope!  We've got more...

For the past couple years, I've been trying to get him to watch the Little Vampire and now that we had a working VCR, I was going to MAKE him.  I popped popcorn and on Friday night he fell in love with that one!  You know...  after ten minutes of complaining...

Isn't it great when you can become enthralled in a movie that isn't animated??! :)

Then on Saturday night, I found my VHS tape of Willow and forced him to watch it.  He ended up loving that too.  We watched the rest of it on Sunday afternoon.  It's been a full weekend of movies!

So on Sunday, I remembered a box under my bed of a bunch of old movies, both VHS and DVD.  He enjoyed digging through them found an old cassette tape of a Harry Potter book.  

What's THIS?!  GASP!  The lightbulb went off and he said, "I think I have something this will work in!!"  and ran off to his room.  He brought back a kids tape player with microphone so you can sing along with the tapes.  He mostly uses it to sing the refrain of Sweet Caroline, but now he saw it had a new purpose!  

Leon tried as hard as he could but couldn't figure out how to put the tape in.  I showed him how and pressed play.  He carried it around the house with him as he played with little toys and listened intently to the story.  I think that cassette was the last of about 10 tapes for just that book.  It's the only one I know where it is...  Enjoy the story while you can!

I also have a Bunnicula Howliday Inn tape when he's ready for it.  PERFECT for Halloween!

In our old tech treasure trove, I found this.


Three of my most favorite movies!!!  I must have taped them off of cable back in the 80s.  Last night, while Leon was in the bath, I plugged it in.  I was excited to watch The Believers again!!!  What a creepy spooky horror flick that is awesome...  


Guess what it was?...

Someone... probably me...  taped over it with all of Bill Clinton's testimony in front of the grand jury...  SERIOUSLY!!!!????  I fast forwarded it on one VCR to about halfway, plugged it back into the other VCR and pressed play.  STILL BILL!  Put it back in the other fast forwarded it again, And then it was nothing...  sigh...  

If I REALLY get in the mood, I'll spring for the $4 it'll cost me to watch The Believers on Amazon Prime...  

So it's been a weekend of vintage tech.

And just like his daddy when he was three, Leon can now run program the VCR.  
Well, he knows how to switch input, stop, start and eject anyway...  

I just need to upgrade my old Pioneer stereo/turn table and we'll be ready to party!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails