Monday, August 10, 2009

Current sewing project - Vest

Maddy wanted a black vest that she could wear with a lot of her more colorful clothes and we settled on this pattern with a few adjustments. She wanted a shorter vest with not as much, if at all, overlap in the front. I may put buttons on, but they'll be for show only.
I found some black (prom dress type) textured fabric on my sewing jaunt on Saturday with the ladies from ASG. I shouldn't have used the flash for this picture, it's not gray at all, but a deep dark black. Very nice. I should have it completed for the most part by tonight. Then I'll have her model it for me. I got a good start on it last night and did a bit more over lunch today.
The most time consuming thing so far was to change the thread in the serger! For some reason, the hardest thing-a-ma-bobber needle took 3 attempts to thread before the serger decided it was threaded right. ??? I didn't change anything from the first two times I threaded it... Stupid serger. It's finally threaded and making the good little stitches now, so all is well again. The only thing I'm serging on this project is the edges of the edging interfacing that frame the whole thing. Right now I'm pinning the underlining to the vest and I'm almost out of pins! I've got to unpack a few more boxes of sewing junk from the garage I guess...

One of my favorite purchases this weekend was... a magnetic bobbin holder! Such a clever thing! My bobbins fall all over in my sewing box so this is perfect!


Have a great crafty day! And don't forget about my contest! The drawing will be Wednesday night at 8pm central time.

4 comments:

Macey said...

Sometimes I really wanna go make something with my sewing machine and then I realize: gotta thread the bobber. Don't wanna do that.
Isn't that lazy??

Elle Bee said...

You are so talented! I love your sewing posts because I can't sew to save my life! Sure, I muck around with silly projects, but I'll never get past pillow cases or burp cloths. I love to see what you're up to.
Elle

McVal said...

MiMi - That's why I don't do too many project around the house. I never seem to have the right tool handy, and it's too much work to hunt it down!
Elle Bee - I'll bet if your life depended on it, you could make a quick top... Like... you've been robbed and all your clothes were stolen except for a yard of patterned cotton. What would you do!? There's an episode for Project Runway if I ever saw one!

Anonymous said...

hi thanks so much for stopping by so glad you did I can't wait to see the finished vest did you get it finished in time?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails