Friday, November 13, 2009

Random thoughts by Jack Handy... or Val...

Random things we did as kids...

When I was a young girl, we had a cement slab in the middle of our garden that used to be a garage. Snakes lived underneath. My brother had gotten a basketball hoop and pole with no net. He was planning on installing it there, but never got around to it, so it lay on it's front, one end of the pole MUCH higher than the other.

My sisters and I raised up the lower end onto some cement blocks so it was somewhat level. Then pretended it was a balance beam and we were gymnasts. It took a lot to learn how to walk across a rounded pole! We mostly fell off. But as time went by, we got pretty good at it. That was one of our favorite places to play. And it was within sight of the road where we hoped to be discovered by a gymnast talent scout!

Other times we would take a blanket to the top of the huge stack of hay that my dad baled every summer and lay on our backs watching the sky... Unaware of the critters that lived beneath us until now.. Rats, snakes, spiders.. shudder...! But on a clear blue day, we'd lay there and dream about who was in those airplanes that left the white trails in the sky. I was in the middle of reading "Vicky gets her wings" book about a stewardess who finds trouble and solves crime, so I wanted to be a stewardess. They, of course, don't call them that now... Show's my age, huh?

There were a couple times we camped out in sleeping bags on top of those bale stacks and watched the stars. That would last until one of us got scared of course and we hightailed it indoors.

In the winter, our washing machine drained out the back of our house into the backyard making an ice skating rink. We got skates from somewhere and skated to our hearts content... I had just seen Ice Castles and fell in love with it! I tried some of the moves on the 10 foot long strip of soapy ice and nearly broke my neck a half dozen times. It was within sight of the gravel road and we always hoped we'd be discovered by a skating talent scout... or a modeling agency looking for a 12 year old fresh face.

My dad started building a new garage one year and poured the cement slab for it. It was going to be huge! He used a cement sander on it and it was as smooth as a baby's butt. We got skates from somewhere and skated to our hearts content... Once a week, my parents would take us to the roller skating rink, so we thought we were hot stuff out on the cement... and within sight of the road again hoping we'd be discovered... and become famous roller skating stars like. like...

We loved that rink until my sister Melanie fell on her po-po and hurt her back. I think she's been to a chiropracter pretty regularly since then. Dad used the opportunity to start on the garage and we abandoned our rink.

So anyway, there are my random memories of the day. Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

Macey said...

I love your random memories! They makes sense, mine don't. : )

Frances said...

OMG!! Your reminiscing reminds me of when my mom would take us to the drive-in. (Yes, I'm showing MY age.) My girlfriend and I used to sit on a blanket in the empty spot next to our car. (I don't know how my mom always managed that.) We would do model poses between movies, since we knew there must be a talent scout somewhere out there. LOL!

It sounds like they were somewhere else for both of us. LOL1

Southern Gal said...

Ah, roller skating and gymnastics.
The skating rink was great after those strap on skates with the keys I had. I can still hear "I Can Help" and "I'll Play for You" by Seals and Croft.

McVal said...

LOL! For us all the only song I remember was The Wanderer.
Frances - too bad we both didn't become famous from doing our own thing! We were just in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Sharon said...

sounds like an awesome childhood -- pure creativity unfettered!

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

Ice Castles?! I haven't thought about that movie in years. Did you cry when the roses were on the ice and she couldn't see them? Oh, Robby Benson...

Blogs said...

Oh the good ol' days:) Thanks for coming by and wishing us well:)

Pam said...

Those are some fun memories. I remember laying on hay bales and reading.

Sonya Ann said...

It sounds wonderful! I wanted to ride ATVs professionally.
Have a great weekend and thank you for sharing.
And thanks for all of the support with my blog problems!!

KK said...

Oh, life was simpler then...

kado! said...

you had a fun childhood! ...so did any of those scouts ever come by the house? ;)

Carma Sez said...

I used to spend the weekends at the roller rink back in the day. Would have been fun to have my own cement practice slab!

The Old Parsonage said...

Sounds like a wonderful childhood. Things were so much simplier back then, at least that's the way that I feel.

Love the skating rink part!

Thanks for stopping by!
Leann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails