Monday, November 16, 2009

YUMMO!! Cookie making time!

On Saturday afternoon, the girls and I met up with our friend Polly at our friend Ada's house. Ada loves to have cookies or muffins in the freezer during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season, so I believe we've just started a new tradition. Do this 2 more years in a row and it will be, right?Ada has M.S. and Schleroderma, so since she can't make the goodies herself. Polly and I brought our supplies and dug in. Each of us took ownership of a recipe and went to work. I brought my $5 mixer that I found at a garage sale and cannot be parted from for anything! It's awesome!
Ada turned on the radio to some Christmas tunes and we danced while we worked. We made 6 different kinds of cookies and yummies.
Spimoni slices that a college friend gave me the recipe to on Facebook. Notice the empty spot? We had to taste test. They're basically a sugar cookie recipe, split into 3rds. In one of the thirds, you mix in a couple ounces of semi sweet chocolate squares. In another, green food coloring and chopped pecans. In the last (I didn't have red food coloring or candied cherries) I used 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries and they made that second pink! Then you layer it, chill it and then slice and bake. Easy peasy! Graham crackers with peanut butter, then dipped in chocolate candy coating.
Chocolate cookies with marshmallow, frosting and pecans on top. I wasn't sure how they would turn out... Polly and I decided we'd change a couple things next time we make them as they aren't the prettiest cookies we made, but they did turn out very yummy!
Meri had made a recipe that she found in the back of her Sunday school booklet called.. Don't quote me... Humeteuch ?? That's not right... They are Jewish cookies that have wheat flour in them. You cut them in circles and fold up 3 of the edges. Put apricot preserves in the middle and bake. I was a bit apprehensive with those too, but they were pretty tasty too! Who knew that wheat flour could make good cookies?! We made up a new batch last night to try them out a slightly different way. They're freezing now.
I made Peanut butter puddles. Basically a peanut butter cookie dough, baked in mini muffin tins, lined. Then when they're done baking, you poke out the middle a little and drop in this fudgy mixture and put chopped nuts on top. I did some with nuts and some without. People are funny that way with their tastes... Oh and they were awesome.
Maddy took over the recipe where you take mini snicker bars (the fun size - although I've wondered why they're called fun when they're so stinking small...) and wrap them up with sugar cookie dough (which I made the night before and chilled). Then you roll them in Christmassy sugars (green & red) and bake. They turned out huge, so next time we make them, I think we should chop the fun sized bars even smaller. So festive looking!Then when everything was done cooling, we wrapped up assortments on individual little Christmassy plates, stuck them in freezer bags and froze them. She'll have enough to give out to the mailman, UPS guy, relatives & friends who stop in, etc. We also made up a big tupperware container of an assortment of the rest and froze that too. She'll have a big variety to share at our church ladies guild Christmas party in a couple weeks. We always have it at her house. Looking forward to that!

Now I'm definitely in the Christmas mood... I think we're going to try and make a couple batches a week to fill up the freezer so we can be well stocked at home too.

Happy baking!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

the 3-cornered cookies you mention are called hamentaschen. they are generally eaten during Purim, but they are super yummy and I'd have them all year long if I could!

Looks like you had a blast!

InspiredDreamer said...

Wow, what a great day--making so many kinds of cookies! I'm sure it was a huge blessing and a fantastic time. They all sound fantastic too!! :)

Frances said...

What a great day! I miss having all day bake-a-thons. Christmas cookies are such fun to bake!

Frances said...

What a great day! I miss having all day bake-a-thons. Christmas cookies are such fun to bake!

Pam said...

Okay, now I am all hungry!!!
Those cookies sound and look awesome. What a fun day with family and friends.

kshotz said...

Looks like fun....and great results too!

Macey said...

You are SO cute! I love that you updated your profile pic, btw.
Those treats look SO good. I bet they'd ship well...hint hint.

Southern Gal said...

I see it's time to throw the ingredients in the mixer and get to baking. Thanks for the nudge!

Dawn said...

So how many did you eat fresh form the oven?? And now I officially need to find something chocolate...

Blogs said...

WOW!! right up my alley my friend...looked like a fabulous time:)

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

Christmas is one of my favorite times of year. Especially because I get to make so many yummy cookies and candies.

jana said...

Regarding the whole wheat flour...I use half ww and half white in all of my toll house-type cookie recipes. I love the nutty flavor it adds.

Flat Creek Farm said...

What a fun day, and what a super friend you are to Ada. The cookies look fabulous! -Tammy

KK said...

Mmmmmmmm, now I want to start baking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails