Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ode to the best phone in the world

If only it still worked...

My wonderful LG that I have had for the past 7 or so years, has, I think, finally bit the dust. Last night just before 5pm, I was able to call someone but they couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them. They couldn't call me. sigh...

The banner on it says, "Can but won't!". In case you didn't recognize it, that's a quote from Monty Python.

Whenever I'm eligible for a new phone on my plan, the people at the cell phone place try to talk me into a new phone. I've succumbed a couple times, but usually within a week or two, I insist they switch me back to this phone. Do you see the clippy thing on the back? I've had this phone hooked to my hip for the past 7 years. No other phone, that's allowed on my plan, allows the clippy thing to stay on the back of the phone when you answer it. You always have to pull it out of the holster to answer it... So the holster gets lost or looks stupid empty on your hip.
Also - it has my own personalized cell phone ring of Lucky Lucky Lucky by Kylie Minogue on it... sigh... I'm going to miss that.

Well, thanks to my 15 yo who bought a fancy schmancy phone over the weekend, we had a spare. One that I had rejected a few years ago that she used for a backup when her last one died... I think by being eaten by a dog. I called my cell phone buddies and they switched me over to that one.

Guess what? Maddy had a cell phone tone on it that she left for me. It's a "teen ring"! Anybody ever hear of it?

Apparently, it's similar to a dog whistle. The frequency is so high that only kids can hear it! Cool huh? I definitely cannot hear it, either because I have a hearing problem or because of my "advanced" age.

I thought the kids were joking about this cell tone, but not anymore. Last night, I randomly played it and got a HEY! KNOCK THAT OFF! from my son upstairs in his bedroom, and from my daughter clenching her ears in pain.

hmmm.. I could get to like this phone...

OH!!! Almost forgot!!! I'm announcing my contest tomorrow! And no... it's not my old cell phone.

18 comments:

Laufa said...

My hubby is trying to decide on a phone right now too. Sorry for your loss.

Urban Earthworm said...

It's always so sad when the companies force us away from what we want. Darned cell companies.

I still haven't heard that teen tone, but I've heard of it. I'd love to try it out, but I'm afraid I'd be heartbroken if I couldn't hear it.

Annie Jones said...

My daughter once played a short mp3 for me that was supposed to be a tone only young people could hear, but I could hear it fine. I don't know if I'm an exception or if what she played just wasn't what she thought it was.

If you really like the phone, you could possibly find one just like it on eBay. A lot of people upgrade and cell perfectly good phones when they do. I would think all you'd have to do would be to switch the SIM card.

Yankee Girl said...

Getting used to a new phone is so hard! Mine is on it's way out but I'm holding on for as long as possible.

SJT said...

Teen ring! I have no idea what that is. I would love to see if I could hear it. ha ha ha...laughable.

I too just got a new phone. A fancy new iPhone. I love it. I never thought I would. I had the old school kinda phone.

Just go big! Get a smart phone. You'll never go back!!!

Pam said...

LOL about the teen ring! My spare kid has one that says, "You're mother is calling! Yo! It's your momma!"

slugmama said...

I just don't get this whole cell phone thing. I only have one for emergency situations and I don't even turn it on unless I need to use it. I guess I'm an old fart.lol
Old farts also don't like to give up on the comfortable and the familiar...like cell phones we have had for 7 yrs.=very big evil grin

In addition, Old farts can't hear the dog whistle ringtone...usually that includes anyone over 30.
My daughter's friends all set their phones to it one day and called each other in class. None of the teachers heard it/caught them.lol

slugmama said...

Oh....and I am still getting the creeps from yesterday's post.**shudder**

Macey said...

Again, I'm with Slugmama. I was thinking about the rat in the pencil cup last night and gagging! LOL!
Also, I really really wanna try to hear this teen ring. That's weird.

slugmama said...

I will NEVER lick a pencil again....um, not that I ever did before, but still.
You dad is a legend in my book...creepy but a legend...lolol

I think from now on when you post a Dad Prank you need to put a warning up...like SonyaAnn has to do with her Wicked Wed. posts...LMAO

Carma Sez said...

yes, use that ring to keep the kids in check!

My son love to test me with "teen ring" stuff since he knows I am literally half deaf.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

I'm too attached to my old things as well, changed my PC & still missing the old one somehow~ change is harrrd sometimes!
xo

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

I've heard of the teen ring, but wondered if it really worked. Fun & effective torture for the kids. Cool!

mamahasspoken said...

Love that ring tone! I heard about that and tried it out on a web site. I heard it!
I know what you mean when something you love so well dies. For me it was my camera. I still miss that camera.....

Elle Bee said...

Teen ring! I've never heard of that--how funny! I wouldn't be able to hear it, that's for sure!

Southern Gal said...

Teen ring? Seriously? Wow.

I keep phones forever, too. I only get a new one when my breaks. And that doesn't happen often. My last two have been Sonys and I love them. I only got a new one when we got a new cell plan. Funny how you get so attached to a piece of technology.

KK said...

now that is a fun new pasttime!

Sonya Ann said...

I couldn't hear it either! Old age sucks! But at least you know how to get their attention now, break up fights, or call them for dinner!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails