Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Oh it's with ME!

I'm about to make a confession.

Ssh! Don't tell anyone or they'll think I'm a nerd.

When I was 10, I saw the original Star Wars movie in the theater. Yes... I'm THAT old.

That's not the nerdy part.

Right after I saw this movie of all movies (because MAN! The Special Effects were SO cool! Right?!), I was certain that no one had thought to write it all down, and thought it would make an AWESOME book! So after pulling out a notebook and pencil, I started remembering the movie on paper. Word.for.word.seriously.

Was almost done! I had gotten just past the trash compactor part and Leia was telling Chewbacca that he was a walking carpet or some such thing. I was going to mail a copy to my penpal Maria (Hi Maria!) who would undoubtedly label me a total geek upon receipt of this 15 page masterpiece.

But then I went to K-Mart with my dad and saw it sitting on the shelf amongst a billion common books. It spoke to me. and I spoke to my dad and begged him to buy it for me.

With my new treasure in my possession, I pitched the manuscript I had etched out. I'm really regretting that now. That would be so funny to read these days! That paperback book got such a workout that summer! I read up to the photos in the middle of the book before midnight, then woke up early to finish the last half before starting my day. Did that every day, all summer. I read it so often that it broke in half. I still have both halves...

In addition to my setting this story in stone, I also purchased, whenever I had money, the little gum packets with the movie cards. I have a whole shoebox around here somewhere of those moldy little cards. Someday they'll be worth a FORTUNE! You could make puzzles from the pictures, answer trivia questions about the movie or actors. And I knew it all...

You seriously do not want to play the Star Wars trivia game against me... Unless of course they add in the newer trilogy because I REFUSE to watch those. They destroy my precious memories of the original! Even the original BEFORE Lucas put in those extra special effects!

I'm a purist.

The comments that I got about Avatar yesterday reminded me of Star Wars and how some people (not me!) went WAY overboard on just a movie! Did you know that there are a few people in real life who have killed themselves because they can't live on the Smurf planet of Pandora?! Sad isn't it? It's PRETEND people!! FICTION!

Well - I need to go. I'm almost done crafting my latest lightsabre and hopefully Luke will stop by in his land speeder later and give me a lift.

Ok - I've confessed about my nerdy childhood. Your turn!

14 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I was 12 or 13 when the first one came out and I confess that Star Wars never did a thing for me. I tried to watch it but just couldn't get into it, and have never watched any of Star Wars movies since.

SJT said...

Just like in the movie FREAKS..."one of us. One of us!" I knew I liked you!

Blogs said...

haha...what's so nerdy...my dear?:)

slugmama said...

Star Wars came out the weekend of my High School prom, so I was 18. Let's just say I was too involved in my own life to even notice Star Wars or get into it.lol
At my age, I was more of a Saturday Night Fever kind of gal.
But my oldest son was very much into the whole Star Wars franchise....he even had the Star Wars Battleship Game.lol

Frances said...

Not to nerdy, I think. I was never much of a Star Wars fan.

No Star Trek...that was a different story. I lived and breathed Star Trek. I wanted to marry Mr. Spock and have little pointy eared babies.

In the 8th grade, my best friend and I would draw Star Trek comic strips. Yes we did.

kshotz said...

I forgot to post this yesterday...have you seen this r.e. the film Avatar?

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/disney-pocahontas-jame-cameron-avatar-story-change-school.jpg

Check it out, it's pretty funny!

I saw The Outsiders 6 times at the theater. Also, Beverly Hills Cop 3 times at the theater. Is that nerdy?

Southern Gal said...

OK. I was 14 when I saw Star Wars in the theater. I have an ongoing argument with my 18yo son about which movie is the FIRST movie. Episode IV? Bah. But I never saw any of the others. Now my 8yo is the biggest Star Wars fan and he's never seen the movie. Lego Star Wars on Wii. We've spent all summer reading all the books in the order they appeared. We're on Revenge of the Sith now. He had a Star Wars party last February. One day I'll deem him old enough without fear of nightmares, to see the movies. My poor sore throat will be relieved.

Carma Sez said...

I have never watched a Star Wars movie. Does that make me lame? or unnerdy - because I am kinda nerdy.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I saw it in the theatre too...and remember where I sat. I also remember being verrrrry tired after a gymnastics meet.

RE: SJT's comment...have you seen Freaks?

mamahasspoken said...

I saw the first three movies in the theater. I wasn't into Star Wars it was just the thing to do. I already told you my nerdom, it was call band.

Macey said...

You wrote the whole thing in only 15 pages???

KK said...

Star Wars is my true love, but I didn't try to write it. Too funny!

Trudy said...

I think I was between 17 and 19 when it first came out. I remember this little boy, around 7 or 9, could quote most of the lines from the movie it seemed.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com &
www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com

Sonya Ann said...

Thank you for giving me a memory back. I too, saw it in the theaters with my dad. We would talk for hours about Star Wars. He passed a few years ago and I miss him. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails