Monday, November 21, 2011

It's a Toss Up

It was a toss up.

I could have told you about how this weekend we came across a little book my daughter wrote when she was 7 where the mommy wouldn't let her have a cat. It doesn't end well for the mommy...

Or show you what I sewed this weekend...

Showing the book would put me in a worse situation with my daughter... so it's sewing!

On Saturday, Meri & I went to our ASG (American Sewing Guild) meeting and brought home as much fabric as we brought TO the meeting. So it's kind of like playing cards where you can discard cards you don't want and trade them in for fresh. Pretty slick...

That afternoon I dug through my pattern stash and found a baby sleeper. The newborn size fits up to 14 lbs. Braedon is only a little over 7 at the moment but my sister says they won't need it until January... So we're good. I got a picture of her wedding gown before I cut into it.Then tore the seams up the back couple panels and removed all the bows that went up the train. I got inspired to make a bow tie out of one of them for the little suit! Called my sister and ran it past her. The idea is a go!So instead of having a sleeper out of this satin, I made the front not have any buttons, just a seam and then the back will have a zipper. No snaps in the crotch at all. I mean.. How long is this kid going to wear it?! A couple hours tops...

Then made a little vest thing for the front. I'll just sew the buttons and flaps together and not bother with button holes. Adding a collar and ankle bands. Then just seam up the sleeves. Slick back his hair and give him a cigar and he'll be a regular James Bond!Problem that I ran into... I took the zipper off the dress and intended to use it for this outfit but it was too long. I cut it off at the top of the zipper and stitched in one side. As I moved the zipper gripper thingy up when sewing past it, I accidentally pushed it off the top of the zipper and can't get it back on... So I tore out the zipper and am waiting until I can get to the store for another white one. darn.

I got as far as I could with it and then Sunday night worked on my moms curtains. 4 panels done now with the channel at the top for the curtain rod and hemmed two of them. The other 2 can't be hemmed until we fit them on the window. Mom wasn't sure how long she wanted them. So I'll bring them to the Thanksgiving reunion which will be right next door to her house and we'll get her rigged up.

I live for the weekends, but why do they go so fast?!

7 comments:

Sheila said...

My girl, you have talent! That is so adorable. :)

Macey said...

That's adorable!!!

Jill said...

That looks adorable!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

blessings,
Jill

Michelle said...

That is just the cutest little suit! You are so VERY talented.

mamahasspoken said...

Cute idea to recycle the wedding dress into a meaningful outfit for your nephew.
Though I would have shown the book...

Sonya Ann said...

You are so talented.
And a DJ update, he is not doing well with the sewing machine. Laughing.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

What a great project! The bow tie is adorable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails