Friday, August 1, 2014

Master of none...

You know the old saying?  Jack of all trades, master of none.  
That's me...

Our air conditioner has been freezing up lately.  And when I say freezing, I mean it!  On the machine outside, the hoses leading to the actual machine are iced over with 1/4 inch ice, going all the way into the box and covering a motor deep within.  The fan on it still runs...  weird.  But no air makes it all the way into the house.

In the past, we've spent $200 having a guy come over.  We have a guy...  He usually checks it over, tells us to leave it off for over night to thaw out, and then we turn it on and it runs.  He advised us to do that next time it happens.  So we did.  It worked!  I may have blogged about it.  I don't know...  

But a couple nights ago, we noticed the house was hot again.  And I mean in the upper 80s IN the house.  It was a lot cooler outside at that time.  Good thing or we'd have been sleeping in a sauna all night!  So we left the air conditioning off, since it was iced over again.  The next morning, I turned it back on and it was frozen over again by lunch time...  

hmmm.

We looked online and I found a Youtube video on how to clean the coils.  So I was going to fix this sucker myself! 

I had had to work late and when I DID get off work, the three girls, Leon and myself went out to eat some homemade ice cream that a guy locally makes with his family.  YUMMO!!!!  
Got back and I tackled it again.  

It took 15 attempts at various tools, but I finally found the sweet one and got to work on the bajillion little bolts holding the metal panels on.  Got it pulled apart by 10pm last night. 

Robb had brought home some coil cleaner after his bagpipe band practice and this morning before I came to work, I went and sprayed the heck out of the coils.  This is what it looks like after I'm putting it back together.  

I would have tried to get a better photo of it, but my back was already against a wall and I couldn't go back any further...
 
NOT a pretty sight!!  But I don't care if it's not pretty, hopefully it works now.  

I turned the fan back on and air IS coming out of the vents now.  Not superdeeduper fast, but there is air.  So I turned the cool part on and took some duct tape back down to the basement.  Not ALL the grooves fit back together on the metal plates...  So the parts where air gushed out, cold air I might add, that I hope makes it upstairs by tonight, I sealed up every seam.  

It looks pretty!  Zebra colored duct tape is awesome stuff!  I just hope it works!  
Who am I kidding??  I DO care if it's pretty!

When Leon jumped into bed with us around 4am this morning, he was one sweaty little monster!  and he didn't want to touch ANYONE!  He just wanted to be in THIS bed.  

I think because we have the biggest fan blowing on us all night...

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Willow said...

I seem to remember a "duck tape" car mirror incident too ?? ~ I think you should be picked up for a duck tape commercial lol you definitely have a lot of uses for it !

Michelle said...

Zebra duct tape....yep, we have some of that around here too. You are one crafty repair lady!

Sonya Ann said...

WOW you can fix anything!!! I wouldn't even have tried it. I just would have complained and called Den. Next time, we have a problem, I'll call you. How are you with check engine lights?

Frances said...

Good for you for tackling that project! Girls can do anything!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails