Friday, August 22, 2014

Still only for lunch

My day off yesterday started PROMPTLY at noon!  Maddy and I headed out the door and away from the things of man.  Or McVal actually, in this case.

I WAS going to take her to this REALLY swanky fancy restaurant where you can order buffalo steaks, but probably not for lunches...  When I told her how dressed up Robb and I got when he and I went there for an anniversary dinner, she got cold feet.

And in reality, she always does... 
especially in that car where the air conditioning ONLY blows on your feet...  

She felt we would be looked down on because we were wearing shorts, sandals and t-shirts.  She said she would feel like Julia Roberts in Pretty Women.  I asked her if she felt like she looked like a hooker and she promptly denied it.

She didn't.  Just so you know.

So, to alleviate her fears of being judged by others, we went out for Chinese instead.  Got some great food, REALLY fast, so we could get on with our afternoon!

I had crispy beef...  mmmmm.

We never did go get our nails done.  Instead we finished up her shopping list of things she can't forget to take to college this weekend.  She called me sassy...  Can you BELIEVE that??  Well, it's hereditary dear...

We also stopped at one of those LEAF yogurt places to use up one of her gift cards that she got for her high school graduation 1.2 years ago.  It still worked!  
We have two of those types of yogurt places in the next town.  Both with Leaf in the name.  Weird.

Then we visited a consignment store that was more like the pricey antique stores where they think very highly of their wares.  We didn't even feel guilty enough to buy a SINGLE thing there and just gradually walked out.

We stopped by the house and picked up Ryan to take him to work.  Also picked up a car seat, Meri's dentist form for school, our dental insurance card and a CO2 canister for my Sodastream to get refilled.  Dropped Ryan off at work, got my CO2 replaced, dropped off the car seat at Robb's work, picked up Meri from school and headed back to town to take her to the dentist.

She has my teeth...  We'll be back for fillings in a few weeks...

While she was having her teeth evaluated and frowned on, Maddy and I hit a couple more unique shops downtown.  There are times I love living so close to a college town!  Lots of hippy style shops!! and cheap!  We got back and had a talking to by the dentist...  and then we headed off to visit at my besties for a little bit before heading home.  

Meri had to make 20 cupcakes for school today, so she and I got some Red Velvet with purple cream cheese frosting put together after supper.  Leon LOVES them and will have red poop for the rest of the week, I'm pretty sure...

Got some good news from Ryan on two fronts, so that was cool.  I won't share here, but just know that my son is growing up!  and I love him very much.  It feels like a window has firmly been shut and someone opened a door somewhere.

After we got Leon down for bed, Maddy needed me to sew her t-shirt rug together.  Over the course of the summer, she had cut and braided together about 15 cast off t-shirts that she didn't want anymore.  There has been an every growing mass of braided knit in our living room.  It will be gracing her dorm floor.


I found the directions and started sewing.  

Got about this far ^ and discovered that the ends were curling up in an unreasonable fashion...  I was NOT making a woven basket here!!!  We're going to have to pull it apart because I pulled and pushed the fabric through in all the wrong places...  She might not take it tomorrow after all because I think I'll be spending the 3.5 hours in the car ripping it apart.
 
Here is the beginning of a Split Pea soup lunch!  There will be lots of leftovers because only Maddy and I really care for the stuff.  It was on her list of things she wanted to eat at home before going back to school.  


Nothing like the last minute, but I doubt even SHE would want it for breakfast tomorrow morning...  
So it's lunch today!

It's not just for breakfast anymore.  Wait, it never was, I don't think!

6 comments:

slugmama said...

Congrats to Ryan on whatever the good news is!
Both of my two older ones have had some good stuff going on lately too....maybe it's catching? 8-)

The Old Parsonage said...

Funny I just had Chinese for lunch - yum! I love hearing about days like these with someone that you love.

Yeah for Ryan!

Leann

Southern Gal said...

I never feel guilty walking out of those type stores. Window shopping at it's best! I know you had fun. And I feel for you pulling out all those stitches.

Michelle said...

I love a little Chinese for lunch :)

mamahasspoken said...

Sounds like a wonderful day with your daughter before she heads out and away, never to come home until Thanksgiving break ;o)

Jane said...

Chinese is way better anyways! And cheaper! Bonus!I have all of "those kind of stores" pegged around here - and there are several. WAY overpriced and snooty to boot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails