Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Waxed to Perfection

 Matthew had asked me to make him a waxed canvas Dopp kit.
The link to it is here and it's pricy...  And more than this but I can't get a good photo of it...


So here were my first attempts...


and they were lame...  Of course I hadn't even gotten to the waxed canvas part for these, but they were just NOT looking the part. 

After some research and re-reading of the tutorial, I found that I was supposed to use fusible fleece.
OOOOOHHHHHHH!  


It pays to read the directions...
 and follow them...

I made it again, following the directions to the letter... *except for a little*

I ironed on the fusible fleece, sewed in the zipper, made the french seams.
and VOILA!

Once it was done, except for the handle, I melted the wax in the microwave.

I know!!!  A deviation from the instructions again...  But WHO has a double boiler??
At Christmas-time, I melt the chocolate in the microwave too.  Oh well, it worked.


I painted it all on the bag on the outside, avoiding the zipper.  

Then dropped it in an old pillowcase and into the dryer for 30 minutes. 


After 30 minutes, there were still a couple thick waxy areas near the seams, so in it went for another 30 minutes.

There.  It looked good.

Then I pounded on the (once a belt) leather strap and rivets.  The whole bag got bent out of shape.  
So back into the dryer again and suddenly it soft and supple again for a few minutes until it hardened like it was supposed to.

Robb wanted me to test the waterproofed-ness of it and dunk it in a sink, but I didn't want to.
We'll let Matthew.

Then shipped it off with some goodies inside.  He's gotten it now so I can show you what I did.  
My work here is done!


Well, kind of.  I am investigating how to make a messenger bag for him too, but haven't had the chance to try a sample yet.
and Robb wants a Dopp kit now too.

I have a couple dresses to make in the next few months, so those projects might wait until later this summer or until I have an evening free when I just want a simpler project than a dress.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You are a talented woman! I can barely keep the laundry done these days! Much less sew/craft/wax fabric, etc....Get it girl!

Southern Gal said...

That's fabulous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails