Monday, October 31, 2016

Clothing/Feeding the Masses

On Friday night, Meri whisked in after work and said, "HELP ME FIND PIECES FOR A COSTUME!!!!"  She was on her way to a costume party and had figured out that she would be a Mean Girl from the movie of the same name.  Okey dokey...  Ordinarily, I wouldn't let her leave the house this way, but after tracing around her shirt and cutting, it was just too creative to not let her go.
That doesn't make sense but oh well.


Have a good time hon!


and she did.

Robb and I had already paid for a hotel room a couple months back near Maddy's college so we could attend her college choir concert, non-refundable.  But then shortly after that, Maddy dropped out of the choir...  SO, Saturday morning, we drove up to see her anyway.  Why not?!  We had a room!

AND of course to see Maddy and Matthew!!

Guess who left her camera on the desk at home?  Me...

We picked up Maddy on our way through town and kept driving another 2 hours to get to the town where Matthew was in a cross county race with about forty other runners.  


It was wet...

We also attempted to tailgate.  Not sure if that's really done at cross country meets...  We had prepared a crock pot full of smoke pork loin, buns, chips, fruit and 6 dozen cookies which I found necessary to taste test the previous evening.  It was for Matthew's team, but we found out that his coaches had already planned a meal for them to eat when the kids got done running.   darn.  So we gave Matthew a huge forkful of pork and an umbrella and we headed back to campus.

So we had 5 lbs of pork loin to feed someone... hmmm....  Maddy had plans churning to feed all the girls in her dorm, or at least on her floor.  She sent them all messages.

We set up the food in the dorm lobby and waited for the mad rush of freshman girls to arrive.  No one did.  REALLY??!!!  So Maddy and I took the food to them.  One plate of bbq pork sandwiches at a time to each dorm room.  She'd knock and then enter bearing food, telling them there was more where that came from upstairs.  She also took some to some other friends down other halls and we accosted every person coming through the front door.

Then put all the leftovers in her fridge to eat later.  She kept our crock pot...

We spent the evening in Maddy's dorm visiting and movie watching.  I had brought along my sewing machine and altered a skirt that I'd made for her earlier that was too big.  Matthew had a shirt for me to fix also, but the only thread I brought was really dark.  Robb and I stopped and picked some more thread up later on our way back to the hotel.

The next morning, after church and some awesome Mexican food for lunch, I set up shop in the dorm lobby with my sewing machine.  It would have been in Maddy's room, but her roommate had a guest.  I finished adjusting another skirt and just before I started on Matthew's shirt, a freshman girl came into the lobby.  So instead of sandwiches she saw a seamstress.  "What are you sewing??!"  "Oh, I'm mending a couple things of Maddy's."  And Robb piped up, "Do you have anything that needs mending? Bring it on down!"

Thanks dear.

YEAH!!!  she said and off she went to grab a dress with a ripped out seam.

I seriously think I could have a side job of mending clothes in a college dorm if I put my mind to it.
$5 a pop...

Got her fixed up and Matthew's shirt fixed up and after a bit more visiting, headed home.

We have a TON of candy ready and waiting for the hoards of kids that we suspect will come to the house tonight.  If it turns out no one does, I'll ship it to Maddy.  SHE might get some dorm girls to eat it all!  

Or maybe not...

4 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

And that is the difference in having sons vs. daughters. No matter where we were if food was available there were always male friend takers. Lots of friends and lots of taking!

Southern Gal said...

Now if that were a dorm full of boys we'd be reading a different story! The sewing machine in the lobby! Love it. Great that you could help a girl out.

SAM said...

You are so sweet! That would be a terrific money maker of your speedy. Do you replace pants zippers? That's what I and my kids always broke.

SAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails