Monday, December 5, 2016

Westminster and other best friends.

Feels like Christmas!  Or at least it's getting there.  I still have to put some lights up outside...

We only have the tree and Ye Ol' Leg Lamp up so far.

On Friday night, Robb and I attended his (my old) company party.  The very zany receptionist randomly called up 8-10 people for a game called, "Will I be employed on Monday?"  Robb was one of them.  It was basically a trivia game where if you grabbed the candy cane first, you got to answer the question.  They even mixed in a Pictionary All-Play.  Loads of fun!  And loads of shrimp and other food!  Yummo.  A photographer had been hired to take groups shots and candids.  Robb and I even got a photo with just us!  I hope it turns out nice...  
And yep!  His team won so he's still employed!

On Saturday morning, Robb took off to get Leon while I baked cookies and packed.  I also made Cheese Advent Calendars. 


And yes,  someone looked at these labels and asked just WHO is Westminster Cheddar?! and why are we mailing so many things to him?

The three of us headed to a Christmas party at my bestie, Ada's, nursing home.  A large group from our church showed up with tons of treats and started singing carols in the chapel.  Several residents joined in and pretty soon it was time for Robb and I to leave.  Darn!!!  We hadn't even gotten to the goodies yet!  And my voice box was getting sore from singing all those high notes.  I had to switch to Alto at times but when I realized I didn't know the Alto part very well, so I started fake singing...  

But then the three of us left there and headed north to see Maddy and Matthew.  Leon's Hot Wheels Advent calendar was a hit with him and he played cars or the Grossery gang on the way up if he wasn't sleeping.  

We got there just before supper and joined the kids in the campus caf for supper.  
Leon told them about his Hot Wheels Advent calendar and that THEY have CHEESE Advent Calendars! huh?? narc.  they're in the car...  It was a surprise and Leon went and told them.  Oh well.

These were a total hit too!

Then we played Tenzi's and pool until time for the Christmas concert.


In case you're wondering if the Grossery Gang is a good church toy, It's NOT!!!  

Even though we were in the WAY back of chapel, the seats all around us were completely full a few minutes after this pic.

Leon was zinging those little guys all over the place and asking pretty girls to hand them back.  
His toys kept scooting out in the path of people trying to get past.

And he did NOT listen...

I ended up taking him into the chapel lobby for almost the entire concert where we practiced obeying. 

He had found a dead lady bug under the pew. 
It distracted him and made him quiet for a few moments.

How to practice obeying.
Ok.  I want you to go to that couch, tap it three times and come right back here next to me.
After reminding him that he was supposed to come back to me, he finally mastered that task after about 6 tries.  Then we broke out Maddy's Tenzi game and played that until some other kids got banished to the lobby.  It was a long concert...  

Leon made a friend out of a 7 year old girl and he made a fool in front of her to get her attention. His dad used to do that too at that age. Apparently that act didn't work so well on the girl's mother...  The girl wasn't allowed to leave her side.  So Leon went to the girl and she taught him rock, paper, scissors.  He got a little crazy with the actions and I brought him back into the chapel for the last two songs.  


We got back to the hotel after 10pm.  Like I said, a long concert!  But beautiful!!!   We stayed up talking, watching Home Alone 2 and laughing until someone (me) noticed that it was almost midnight and the kid was still WIDE awake...  So Maddy walked Matthew out to the car and we all went to bed.

Short night...  Matthew met up with us just before church Sunday and once again, The Grossery Gang is NOT a church toy!  But had we figured it out by this time? no.  Also Leon discovered on the way home that he left the microwave piece at the church.  Whoops!  We texted Maddy to check into that.

We ate a brunch at the country club, feeling ritzy!!!  And apparently I missed the prime rib on the buffet...  How did I miss that??!  I guess because I was too interested in the shrimp next to it.  

I like shrimp too.
 
Leon had acted up all weekend...  I'm blaming too much sugar...

sigh...  


Apparently a spider problem in Maddy's dorm...

He's a hobbit.

AKA, another way to use up the miscellaneous items we sent in care packages...


But having us all see Maddy and Leon's soon to be uncle Matthew was so worth all the angst.

We got home in time to visit with Meri and Ryan a bit.  And I realized that we still have Thanksgiving food in both fridges.  I need to go shopping tonight and get new food...

3 comments:

Jane said...

Oooooh!! When's the wedding?! Such an adorable couple :) Oh Leon, church IS hard and obeying is even harder! I used to get kicked out often as a kid for asking too many questions!? Apparently sermons aren't interactive!

Michelle said...

Church is hard when you are Leon's age! You are making me feel like I need a leg lamp. For reals.

Southern Gal said...

Whew. I'm tired just reading again. ;) Keeping kids occupied and quiet is always a job. My kids did usually sit in church, mainly because they knew they would have to go to the nursery if they didn't sit still. (Jacob HATED the nursery. He hated anyone who wasn't his mama actually. He was 9 months old when he sat with me in church. Sucked his paci like it was going out of style and never went to the nursery again.) I still have sweet potato souffle in my fridge from Thanksgiving. Wait. There's turkey in there, too. Yuck.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails