Monday, July 3, 2017

Cookin' Up a great Weekend!

Wasn't in the mood to make pizza on Friday night, so I made a giant sloppy joe calzone instead.
Stuffed inside is a pound of fried hamburger/garlic/onions mixed with a can of sloppy joe sauce and cheese.


Baked on parchment paper, because that is the miracle that bakers live by.  Or at least I do and I can't imagine baking without it...

Sprayed the top with oil (because I didn't have any eggs) and cheese and baked at 425 for about 30 minutes or so until it looked good.


Let it sit for at least 5 minutes or everything will gush out when you slice it.

Seriously...


Even then everything is going to gush out when you take a bite!  Unless you use a fork and steak knife on it.

The day later leftovers are even better, because the extra sauce has soaked into the bread part a little better.

On Saturday, I got a lot of stuff done around the house and even swept!
Will miracles never cease?!

I found two pairs of men's jeans that I'd picked up at a garage sale and they don't fit any of the men in the house.  Plus they're for short men.  Plus I probably bought them to cut up for crafts anyway...  

So I tried them on. Low and behold, they fit me  around the waist and derrier!!!  So I made one pair into hemmed jean shorts for me and the other with the ripped up knees into a cool pair of skinny legged capris for me also.  Whew!  I needed those!  :)  I got lots of compliments on the capris Saturday.  Maybe someday I'll allow a photo to be taken of myself in them.

My SIL and niece came on Saturday night, bringing steaks and their wittiness.  Super Secret Steak night it IS!  We provided the sides, drinks and stove.  Robb grilled them up.

Then Robb has either a really bad cold or allergies.  We suspect allergies, because no one else in the house has caught it yet.  So he went to lay down and the girls and myself built a fire in the firepit and roasted marshmallows and talked.  Then Cathy and I watched half of Blazing Saddles while the girls walked up to the convenience store.

Since we're not getting Leon back until Wednesday, I spent Sunday afternoon and evening, shopping for fabric for Meri's new dress and sewing.  Meri is going to be performing in some talent searches this July and hopefully get selected to perform at the State fair. She needed something glitzy to wear for performances so we found some!  I'm going to need either something to line it, or make an underslip for it.  We'll see.  I got it cut out and ready to sew together, then we'll decide what we're going to do.


Also on Sunday, we picked up some supplies for low carb bread.  Robb had found a recipe and we wanted to give it a try.  Do you know how hard it is to find ground flax, soy flour and vital wheat gluten at my usual stores?  We went to three before we had collected it all.  YAY for HyVee!!!  But even there, just because it has gluten in the name of the product, you will NOT find it in the gluten-free aisle...
I don't know why I was looking there...

Anyway, we made a loaf in the bread machine and followed the directions perfectly.  

Turned out ok.  I may have to use the wheat gluten in my usual bread baking, because the slices are so much more softer than I usually make.  Homemade bread can feel dense.
  

Had some this morning, toasted with butter. YUM..  I'm thinking with honey drizzled over the top would be even better, but that would probably defeat the lo-carb aspect.  darn.

Have a wonderful fourth of July tomorrow!!!  Talk at you on Wednesday.

4 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

The sloppy Joe in crust looks fantastic. Our granddaughter will be visiting for a few days and I am definitely going to make this. Thanks!

Michelle said...

I swear, you are the busiest woman I almost know. Almost know = blogging know

Anyway, gluten free bread is yuk. We have almost given up regular bread here. Tortillas for sandwich wraps is the most bread excitement we seem to get!

Jane said...

Your sloppy joe thingy sounds like a panzerotti and I LOVE panzerottis!! I'm not spelling that right but i don't care. I keep intending to dig out my bread machine from its early grave and trying something new but then I always forget! I need more people to feed - maybe that would inspire me.

Southern Gal said...

Great recipe idea! I'll have to give that one a try.

The dress is going to be gorgeous in that fabric.

Now I want to see your capris. How did you make them? How about a photo of the capris with you not in them? Will that work? ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails