Monday, July 17, 2017

NICK of time

On Friday, Meri got her photos finally glued to some foam boards and got done with her goals JUST in time for judging at noon.  I worked at my laptop while she got judged, then we went out for a quick lunch.

 Here are her submissions.  

I love this one.  We went for a drive out in the county one evening and she got lots of great shots.  
She lay down in the middle of road in front the car for this one.



If you go to our county fair, you just might see them!

I stopped on an underused overpass and she hopped out for this one.  A storm was brewing.


Then a few photos that she'd taken in the past with her VERY tall friend.


At an abandoned house out in the country.


On a rusty old bridge over a creepy creek.  Those girls are so brave...


Back at the abandoned house.  This old Edsel was parked behind some sheds.
Vintage is SO cool right now...



PLUS, the Edsel, above, might actually go to the State Fair!  It got an orange dot for consideration.  So we'll find out next Saturday.

On Saturday, Meri and I went to a parade with Robb to see him march with his bagpipe band.  Wool kilts and wool socks on a hot day is not a pretty sight...  But they sounded great!  

Since Meri and I were an hour early after dropping Robb off with his gang, we got our pick of any shady spot to plant our deck chairs.  We picked up some kettlekorn and drinks, then I read a few Burda mags, while Meri went through her phone and upcoming schedule.  THEN we still had 30 minutes left...  Robb had given me his cell phone to take pics, so we browsed through his photo gallery.  We found lots of photos from LAST weekend in Wisconsin.  



Apparently Leon found some cool functions of the phone.


TONS of selfies...  


And lots of panoramic photos of the backseat of the car.


I sent as many stills as I could to my email.
  

Also found some of the close ups I'd taken with his phone when Leon was playing in the fountain at the farmer's market.


I was just waiting for him to fall in.


Anyway, back to Saturday.  After the parade, I got to sew!!!  I need more items to take to the State Fair.  My goal is ten things.  And since I've missed a year or two in the past, I've got items from those years to take too.  But want to use up all ten of the tickets I've purchased.


I made the one on the right with a slightly shorter back than that from a silky, edge print, super long pashmina that I've never worn.  I think I found it on the free table at one of the sewing meetings. 

 I wore it all day on Sunday.  I'll take a pic and show you one of these days.  It's in the wash now. 

It's black with a white print towards the hems, so I wore it to church with black slinky pants, and then the rest of the day with shorts.  From behind it looked like a shorter dress.  And NO ONE asked if I'd made it!  So that's either a compliment, meaning that they couldn't tell at all.  OR that they were embarrassed for me and decided not to comment on it to spare my feelings.

My goal is to sew as good as a sweatshop worker.  Not sure if I'm there yet, but on Sunday, I started working on a sweater knit version of this pattern with longer sleeves and a cowl neck.  By the time I'm onto my 12th version, you'll never know it's the same pattern... ;)  It's stitching up fast.  I just have the cuffs and hem to go and it will be done.  The neck line is a bit larger too because I serged the cowl neck on backwards and had to cut it off and redo it.   I think Meri will like this one a lot for fall.

Anyway, enough teasers.  One of these days, we'll model our creations and I'll show you all my State Fair entries.  The wedding and prom garments have come back from the dry cleaners and are just about ready for the fair.  The wedding dress hem still has a bit of the farm on it.  I might have to locally bleach that...  We'll see.

Happy Monday!

5 comments:

Rick Forrestal said...

Nice selection.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Love Meri's photos and Leon's are wonderful!
Can't wait to see the fair collection.

Michelle said...

Leon looks so grown up in those selfies. Meri's photos are GOOD!

Jane said...

YES, no fair just telling us about your creations - we want to see'em! I hope Meri wins something - her photos are great, very dramatic. The house being overtaken by nature is my fave!

Southern Gal said...

Her photos are beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails