Thursday, July 27, 2017

Vacuuming Up Past Mistakes

Wow.  I've shown you almost all the wedding photos that I've gotten so far...  NOW what do I talk about?  I'm in a vacuum.  Vacuums are busy right? Spinning around in an endless circle...

The McMers are in Texas right now gearing up for the wedding of her last roommate, Bekkah.  I hemmed Maddy's bridesmaid dress for it last month.  She is marrying the son of an African missionary family and I inadvertently met her soon to be mother in law at a mission rally just over a year ago.   

Your SON goes to XXX college?  So does my daughter!  Your son is engaged to a Bekkah?  My DAUGHTER'S roommate is named Bekkah!  

Co-inque-a-dink?  
Wow.  Small world!

Anyway, they drove through Iowa on their way there but didn't stop here as it would be too far out of their way.  We're going to catch them this weekend on their way home by meeting them somewhere in Iowa for a lunch before they finish their trek.

Maddy is getting her kindergarten classroom put together and sent me a pic of a bulletin board that she's started.  


From what I understand, the kids are invited to bring photos of themselves on a trip they went on during the summer and they'll be posted on the board.  Aren't those mock Polaroid's cute?  PLUS she's invested in a new Polaroid camera and will take lots of pics over the year for all sorts of new bulletin boards.

Matthew had great news this month and has perfect two jobs lined up as well as getting accepted into the Master's program that he wants to do.  Has life EVER just "clicked"?  

Sweet...

Anyway, it will be great to see them.  It's been a few weeks.  We do plan to go out there for her installation service next month.  Robb keeps calling it, her "inauguration".  It's not...  

In the meanwhile, when not getting the fair stuff polished up, I've been sorting boxes in the garage.  Got a load of junk taken to the dump and another load of stuff ready to go to donation.  Plus another pile to sell.  That one isn't too big.  

I have two goals.  1) sew better than a ten year old sweatshop worker.  2) be able to fit a car into the garage.  

Both are doable, but just wondering when it will happen...  I showed my garments at the last sewing meeting to get some advice on them.  I will be putting items into the State fair based on quantity, not quality... trust me...  Well, a few of my items are well done, but some will require you to squint when you look at them.  In comparison to the garments my friends are bringing, some of my things would look better on a rumpled pile in the corner. 

One lady noticed a spot on my mother-of-bride dress.  YIKES!  How did the dry cleaner miss THAT?!  RIGHT in front...  Must have been when I was doing clean up and hauling roasters to the car...  So I had to wash it by hand.  I was apprehensive but the huge barrels that I'd gotten for the wedding worked perfectly for the job and the dress and jacket were hung up on the porch to dry.  They're almost done being pressed now, so that will go to the fair after all.  

Another goal for next year is to finish the INSIDES of my garments as conscientiously as the outside.  The ladies from my sewing group have shamed me, yes... but they've also inspired me.  I'll pretend that the garment can be worn inside out and not be embarrassing.  I don't think I could do that now with all my sewing projects...  

Anyway, off to work.  Have a wonderful Thursday!

5 comments:

SAM said...

I think you will have no shortage of things to write about. Your life is a happy whirlwind.

Meg B. said...

What is an "installation service?"

Funny how small the world can be at times, isn't it? Neat story of you both having a close connection to Bekah.

McVal said...

Meg - Maddy works for a church school and they will have a special church service to install or officially welcome the new teachers and principal for this year.

Linda said...

I thought you could sew. ???

McVal said...

:) I thought so too until I saw these ladies creations! I CAN sew, just not with the perfection they put into their projects...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails