Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipsed by a Tree

On the drive home from Wisconsin, Robb did all the driving and I just tried to stay awake.  When I was kid, I could fall asleep in the car at the drop of a hat and when we woke up, we were there.

Kind of like MAGIC!  

BUT I knew Robb hadn't had a lot of sleep over the weekend so I figured I better stay awake and keep him alert. 

I mostly ate.  Maddy and I had found some FRESH cheese curds and I thought Sluggy was lying when she said you can tell how fresh it is by the squeak.  What??!  But she's RIGHT!  This was the squeakiest cheese I'd ever eaten and wow was it good!  We split up the package and she kept some there.  I finished off my pack before the Iowa border.  Well, probably before Madison...  

We got to Iowa and still had three hours to go.  I had cracked open a sewing book and knew Robb would think I would just sink into it without talking to him for three hours, so I deliberately put it on the side burner and talked.  

What tv shows did you watch as a kid?  We shared our favorites that we could remember and he brought up one that I'd never heard of so he told me to look it up.  I did on IMDB and still didn't remember it.  That probably wasn't on the four channels that we got at my house.

In the IMDB search engine, I plugged in 1980 and it listed all the movies and tv shows that came out that year, so I quizzed him.  It brought up lots of fun memories about various shows we watched, who we watched the movie with and the genre of shows that shaped us.  

He saw a LOT of movies with an old girl friend...  :)  

But by the time we got to the late 80s, most off them were with me. or his sister or college friends.

I had my head buried in the computer for almost the entire 3 hours. Yay for internet devices!  I realized that we'd never even stopped for supper!  Not surprising though for all the snacking we'd done.  We got home around 9pm, exhausted.  

Meri had already picked up Leon and they were camping out in the front yard in her tent.  The firepit was lit and they'd littered partially cooked marshmallows all over the driveway.  The ants love us this week...

They gave up camping around 11pm when we heard them come in and she plopped him into his bed.  During the night, it rained like cats and dogs with lots of lightning and pouring rain.  I'm so glad they came in!

Monday was, of course, the eclipse day.  During the morning, it rained off an on and at around 10 or so, the wind SUDDENLY picked up and roared like a hurricane outside.  I heard a snap.  A little while later, we found out why.

Yeah, the dead tree in our front yard is no more...  Robb cut it all up and we pulled it back onto our yard until we can move it to the land fill.  

So.many.twigs...


It fell in exactly the same place as the tree earlier this spring!  What were the odds!?  


AMAZING...  A foot to the right or left would have been disastrous.  Or if it had fallen the OTHER direction, Meri's car would have been nailed...

Is there any doubt that God takes care of us?  I'm learning to trust better these days.

Oh! While Robb cut the tree apart, Leon and I did a science experiment with the eclipse.  When I was in elementary school, there was an eclipse.  I'm guessing 1979.  I remember we used paper cups and saw the eclipse through shadows.  I knew we could do it now too, so I googled it.  

Yep!  Eclipse watching for the people who don't plan ahead.


Colanders aren't just for spaghetti anymore!

Ok, enough randomness.  Enjoy your Tuesday and remember, no matter what gets in the suns way, there is nothing new under it. :)

5 comments:

slugmama said...

See?!? The ol' Slugmeister does know a thing or two about cheese....lolz
some of our trip leftovers curds went on top of the mac and cheese I made last night.

Anne in the kitchen said...

Cheese curds must not be an Alabama thing. I have never seen them nor eaten them.
Watching the eclipse through a colander is a really cool idea!

Michelle said...

lol! Hey I used a slotted spoon during the eclipse. Good times!

Linda said...

I had my eclipse glasses, went to Nashville for totality. No, we don't have cheese curds in AL. I wonder if specialty store in Birmingham might have them. Maybe Richards could bring some in. I think it is Richards that can get anything from Atlanta. Is that the name, Anne?

Southern Gal said...

Ours was March 1970. Daddy made a pinhole projector from a box for us. I remember it like it was yesterday. But to see it with the glasses was fabulous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails