Thursday, September 28, 2017

Burned by Science

Blech... right??!

Leon's Flubber that he made LAST Science night.  Still going strong.  As are the water gel beads.  They're still moist and full too.  


We started a new project last night that will take about a week unless we discover that we did it wrong and will need to start over.  We're attempting to make rock candy.

The strings will be lowered into the liquid more as time goes by.  I didn't use a paper clip to weigh it down like I should have.  


Who has paper clips when they need them??!  Not me.  I'll find a box next month sitting in plain sight, mark my words...

The bottom of the string appears to be getting thicker, so we'll see.  The left side is lemon flavored and the right side is maple flavored.

He splashed some of the syrup onto the stove while we cooked it.  The kitchen smelled of burned sugar.  This morning it smelled like bacon.  

But for a different reason.  So I guess our kitchen just smells...

But breakfast was delicious...

4 comments:

Jill said...

I LOVE making flubber, but oobleck probably rules even that out, lol. So cool! ;-) I haven't made rock candy in years!

Good luck!! :-)

blessings,
Jill

Anne in the kitchen said...

Rock candy is a seriously cool experiment. Only thing better than bacon and burned sugar smells would be caramelized bacon!

Jane said...

Now that's the kind of experiment I would enjoy, during and after :) I'm attaching a link with a bunch of recipes; it's not the book I used to use with Kazi but it has (scroll way down) a recipe using dryer lint that we used to use a lot. I thought it was cool to reuse the lint!
http://www.kidactivities.net/category/art-goop-slime-gak-type-recipes.aspx

Southern Gal said...

We had success with rock candy. And Ethan loved slime so, so much. Now Nora and Ava love it, too. I'll have to have a science night soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails