Thursday, September 21, 2017

Color me Committed

So we've started a new tradition...
I wanted to get the kid involved with something that DIDN'T involve the computer.

I suggested science experiments.
Leon initially wanted to only do experiments that NO one else has ever done before...
He reminded us vividly of Maddy when she wanted to cook and be in charge of the kitchen.  
"I don't know what it's called, but I know what's in it."
and then we'd be enjoying batter fried pickles with banana bits and grape jelly...
Robb had a sandwich once that included a Barbie shoe...

"Um no.  I want to kind of know what the outcome will be so we won't blow up the house."

So he was ok with that as long as we included food coloring.
You GOT it!
and we did.

We  first made something I found on Pinterest called Elephant Toothpaste.
This is what it was supposed to look like.


 This is what we did...  I'm thinking it was a fail...


Then we made Flubber.  It was a hit!  Leon had a blast with it.  However he left the baggie of it open on the counter and it spread out onto the counter top for us to find this morning.  It still felt great and was easy to clean up quick.


Since his dad wasn't home from work yet and I was reaching for something to fill the time...  I grabbed a pitcher, put some water in it and let him sprinkle in water-storing gel beads leftover
from a wedding five years ago.  YOU know the one...

They took ALL night to expand.  They may have had an expiration date.  But this morning they looked great and Leon got all grossed out by how they felt.


win win.

We also taped two 2-liter pop bottles together and made green tornados.  That was a win also.
But it was leaky.  I'll let him and his dad do it again something and tape it right.

Plus I'm sure I didn't have the right percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide for the elephant thingy.  
Oh well.

But now I've told him that we can do science experiments every Wednesday, so I'm committed.

Anyone have some good ones that we do with common household supplies?
and food coloring?

3 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

What a great idea! This link has a great experiment in jet propulsion and if you set up two of them you can make it a competitive experimenthttp://www.kidsgen.com/school_projects/jet_propulsion.htm Personally I think one of the best is growing tadpoles, but it is the wrong season to find any.

Michelle said...

You need to do the mentos and coke thing. Also, what about a volcano?! Good times!

Jane said...

Ooooooh!! Kazi had a science experiment book as a kid though she never did become a scientist :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails