Monday, January 22, 2018

Challenges Right and Left

Ahhhh  the weekend!!!!

On Friday, I worked from the porch while Leon built a snowman.  I helped with the tummy and bottom.  He made the head and then put the scarf on so tight that it was soon decapitated.

So he grabbed his little hoe and whacked it all to pieces.  Then asked that I take a pic of him over his demolished creation.


I knew most of the snow was going to be gone by Sunday night, so I didn't care.  He was having fun.

I don't remember what I did the rest of the evening.  Oh yeah, finished the new Netflix series "Dark".  WEIRDNESS...  Especially weird because it was originally done in German and they dubbed the voices over in English.  None of their facial expressions matched what they were saying so I had to turn on the closed captions.  

I think I must be able to read lips or at least use that to help me understand when people talk to me.  But the closed captions didn't always work either because they'd say something slightly different to what was printed on the screen.  Still, it was interesting paradox of a show.  Oh and some of the voices didn't match the characters.  REALLY?  I wouldn't imagine that person sounding like that!  

Oh well.

Saturday morning I met up with my friend Christine and we attended our local ASG meeting to talk about ironing.  I know what you're thinking...  IRONING?  REALLY?!  Isn't it that thing we all throw our clothes back into the dryer to avoid?

Well, listen to this...

There are gadgets and thingamabobs galore that will aid you in your ironing of seams on ANYTHING you're sewing.  It was amazing!  Seriously!  I learned about needleboards, clappers, steamers, etc and how to use them.  In the first 5 minutes, I learned how to avoid the seam allowance glossiness that screwed up a skirt I made for the state fair, with only strips of grocery bags.  Wow.  I wish I'd known that then!


I grabbed whatever fabric struck my fancy off the many free tables before the meeting started and headed out the door at the first break.  Meri's speech competition was about 30 minutes away and I needed to get there.  I asked Christine to take more notes for me, which she did, and I headed out.  Robb had a bagpipe meeting so he couldn't attend with me.

The first thing I was supposed to attend was a movie project that Meri had been a part of and I managed to find another set of parents from our school to wait with.  That's when we found out that the time for our kid's group had been moved down another 10 minutes or so.  WHOOPS!  If I had stuck around for that, I'd have missed Meri's Reader's Theater performance where she'd be in person.  So I ducked out of the movie review and hiked, seriously, across this HUGE school to find the auditorium.  Got in just before her performance began.  The 15 kids that sat on stools did a fantastic job of reading their parts of a story about Princess Beauty and her kind sister Princess Honor.  SO funny!

I caught Meri looking at me now and then smiling, so I'd smile back.  Afterwards she said that I had been scowling the entire time.  REALLY?!!!!  I must have resting ***** face...  OR it's these silly glasses covering up half my face so she can't see the real me.  From now on, I'll deliberately scowl at her when she's on stage!

hmmph.

I left there, met up with Ryan and got his phone situation fixed up, then headed home.  I got to sew!!!  Since Meri wasn't there for me to get measurements for the Belle outfit, I started on a project for me with leftovers from one of her pairs of leggings I'd made.  


It's the top on far right sleeves but with the neckline variation and length of the one in the middle.  It turned out looking like my neckline was falling off...  crookedly... So I'm going to just stitch it together... 

After supper, I watched the new Beauty and the Beast to get some ideas for Meri's dress.  Looks like the bodice of the dress is a denim bustier vest thingy.  That's what I'd THOUGHT from looking at the photos but I couldn't be certain, til now.  It doesn't look like it'll be TOO tough, but I took pics of the back, front, skirts, etc.  


I've got lots of ideas now...  And I would have liked to have shown the fabric I'd picked out to the director's wife for suggestions, but Meri didn't have time to go with me, so Meri just said, Make it how you think.  hmmm..  

After church on Sunday, Meri went with Robb and I to the HuHot.  While we were standing in line waiting for the Mongols to cook our food, Meri asked me, "How long does it take to make a prom dress? and will you have time to make something else between the play and prom?" 

ummmmm...  are you asking me to make another prom dress for a friend???

No, her date...  She's taking a freshman boy to prom and they want to have Meri in a dress that matches his suit exactly with some crazy patterned fabric.

Kind of like this type of suit but with a pattern that they both love.


Hopefully not this pattern.  I really don't want my eyes to bleed when I sew it or take pics of them...

Meri's will have the same fabric for the prom dress bodice and then some flowy layers of organza for the skirt that matches the colors.  

Challenge accepted.

We spent a little time at JoAnn's after lunch and got disappointed by their selection.  There was just nothing crazy enough unless you wanted to go juvenile quilt fabric or flannel.

Oh well, I browsed fabrics online as she drove us home.  We've got some ideas and I'll let you know as time progresses.

Oh!  Her sweetheart dance dress arrived and looks really nice and fits her exactly.  So I don't need to modify it.  AND she came home from a friends last night and announced that she has a date named Luis for the Sweetheart dance.  Okey dokey!  I guess I've met him before as he was another friend's date for homecoming and was here for pics then.

AND 20 kids, and possibly parents, will be here Saturday for pics before the dance.

Challenge accepted.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Get it girl! I know you have it under control. Do you use a planner or do you keep all of this in your head?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails