Friday, August 17, 2018

Repurposing Fools and Vice Versa

Have you ever sawed a mattress in half?  Me neither...  Til now.

We got a new memory foam mattress and this is the old worn out one.


Robb had said he wants to pitch it, but he's out of town til later today and I can't move the thing on my own...  AND I had developed a brilliant idea.

Plus, it's such a shame to thrown away such a huge piece of foam without trying something first...

So I pulled out my tape measure and bread knife.  I'm thinking I should have used the electric knife, but maybe for the next step.  This was messy enough...

I cut that sucker into two pieces and it's SO much easier to manage now!

 

Then I marked off 4 sections on each.  Can you guess what I'm going to do yet?


Probably not.  My mind is a plethora of ideas waiting to happen until there's no one around to stop me.

I'm going to cut it into those 8 parts and then sew heavy duty fabric covers for each section, probably with a zipper or velcro closure.  It'll make 8 covered cushions to be used when we need more seating in the living room or a bedroom.  Some will probably go to Meri and Ryan's place, some to Maddys, if they want any.  

And WOW, does it make the mattress easier to haul outta here!

On a different note, I found the mystery beeping in the kitchen that's been driving Robb nuts lately.  The food thermometer!  It got trapped under something in the drawer and was going ballistic.  


Do you hear that?  Nope, me neither.  Not anymore...  

Robb went to Illinois with his brother yesterday early and is bringing back "the Sweetness" aka "the Sweet Civic" aka Doug's old Honda Civic that he doesn't want anymore.  He's making a pit stop in Wisconsin to see Maddy, then HOME!  

It's been a wacky couple days. 

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Nope never had to saw a mattress apart, however I have used a saw on a box spring. When Bill and I moved into our 2nd apartment it wouldn't fit up the steps so we sawed it and then used duct tape, etc to fit it back together. 10 years later we still use that thing. LOL

Linda said...

A cheap serrated knife makes short work on foam. It is soooo bulky to move around. Now you are going to make nice pillows. Good deal.

Jane said...

Great idea with the memory foam! Look forward to seeing the finished product. I was thinking you could build a sweet little playhouse with those pieces :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails