Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Stepping up the Game

Robb and I went on a short road trip last night and picked up all my State Fair entries.  I can't believe the fair is all over with already!  Ten days went fast.

It was amusing and a little disconcerting to read some of the judges comments on my entries...  Most of scores landed in the Acceptable or Fair with just one in the Very Good box which ended up as a 3rd place with a comment that said Nice work.

Here are a couple of the gems.
"Good fabric choices but pet hair on inside."  That stupid cat...

For the "sister" shirt, they thought the serging was irregular and I should have used a thread to match the fabric.  It was a dye job and the thread just wouldn't dye.  sigh.  Oh well.
And it looked terrible so I guess they were just being gracious.


On the striped top with skirt, "topstitching is irregular on pockets and hems."  I deliberately did a decorative stitch.  I guess that's what's irregular...

"Strive to improve your sewing skills."  Granted this was on the pink dress for Beauty and the Beast that I cut a few corners on and got it done within 24 hours...  They did like the combination of fabrics.

LOTS of comments on the suit. "Tuxedo jacket should
be lined."  "pants waistband irregular" "no lining" "tie is irregular"  However they did like the fabric and thought it was a clever idea.

On the floral dress, it was marked acceptable and did get a 3rd place ribbon, but the only comment was "great floral knit."  

I guess I need to read up on what constitutes the Excellent or Very Good qualities in the fair guide.

BUT oh well.  I had entered as many things as I could to help build up the sewn garments area.

I need to step up my game.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Those comments sound like they were the first thing that popped into the judges' heads! Not very illuminating or thoughtful! Oh well, back to the drawing board...or sewing machine!

SAM said...

I applaud your work snd willingness to be critiqued. We never stop learning.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails