Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Nuking Memories

Ah to be entertained so easily!...

I bought a microwave volcano from some kid that came to the door with a fundraiser booklet.  You fill it part way with vinegar and part way with water and then microwave for 6 minutes.  

It blows bubbles on the top and looks like Vesuvius about to blow.  Other than that, it doesn't do much else.  I'm probably just as well to just squirt the bleachy cleanser in and microwave for 30 seconds before wiping out, as I typically do WHEN I clean the thing.  And it needs to be bad.

When I was a kid, I could NOT imagine standing this close to the microwave while it was on.
Possible radiation leakage.  
Not sure how much that happened in real life or if it just a threat from my parents so they could see the action too...

Of course, I remember when microwaves first came out.  My dad's company was one of the distributors for them and of course he brought one home.  

We discovered early on what we could and could NOT do with that microwave.
For example, do not hard boil eggs in it.  It WILL blow the door off.  Like a grenade!
We had egg bits all over the kitchen and paint inside the microwave was peeling off.  Dad ran to the store and bought us a second one and it took a few days for Mom to notice. :)

I remember going to my dad's office with him one Saturday and folding hundreds if not thousands of fliers and stuffing envelopes for mailings to sell more of them.  Fun times!!!  I think he bought us either ice cream, donuts or popcorn on the way home as payment.  I'm banking on popcorn.

Anyway, back to work.  It's lining up to be a very busy day!  
With any luck, I might get some sewing in later!

2 comments:

slugmama said...

I don't think I ever made a volcano in science class.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I got a cool gizmo called "Angry Mama". You fill her with water and vinegar, set the microwave to cook for 4 minutes. She gets all steamed up and spews from the top of her head. After she is done, a quick wipe with a cloth (or if you are like me a paper towel) leaves a sparkly clean microwave interior.
The son that gave it to me said she reminds him of me. A frowning face, both hands on the hips, and a head that blows.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails