Monday, October 15, 2018

Weekend Blast from 30 years ago

And then the weekend was suddenly over and snow covered the ground...  seriously...

but anyway, Friday night I got to sew!!!!  Robb had a high school bud here for the day so he had a friend to hang out with while I abandoned him for the sewing machine.  Leon even had stuff to do that didn't concern me, so I got some ME time!

Here's what I did.   Matched chevrons...


Sewed my tag in crooked...


And made this top.  It's super comfy and I THINK it looks good on me...


However I have my regrets and plan to use the seam ripper to correct a few things.  Plus, I'm not sure I like the sleevelessness of it... Especially with snow that we have.  I may add the thumbhole sleeves like below.  What do you think?


On Saturday morning, Robb and I headed to my hometown to see Mom and Dad!  We stopped by my sister's to pick up Dad but didn't get much time to visit with them.  We were hoping to get to the nursing home by 9.  shoot.  

I brought along a few years worth of blog posts in book form and they enjoyed digging through them for memories about them and when I was young.  And of course oohing and ahhing over the grandkids along the way.


They don't look too happy, but that's how they look when they're concentrating.  PLUS Dad just got cataract surgery on both eyes and doesn't need glasses anymore!  It really makes him look different!
Plus gave him bionic eyesight!

Then we met up with a couple of Robb's old college roommies!  He used to rent a house on campus and lots of people stayed there during the summer, even his sister!  It was great getting caught up with their lives and the stories were awesome.


So were the Buffalo hot wings!  Our old dive hasn't changed the recipe in 30 years...
and for that I'm truly grateful!


After lunch, Robb and I walked around on campus and checked all the things that HAVE changed since we were students there.  And there are tons of things...  So Robb started enjoying pointing them out.  LOOK!  They've even changed these steps!  Ummm... no they haven't, says me, that's the only thing they HAVEN'T changed.  Oh and they haven't changed the mailboxes either!  I couldn't remember my old box number but if I had, I'd SO be snooping on whomever it was now.

Then we went and got $12 ice cream...  Seriously...  Mine was over $6 for this bowlful and Robb's was even more.

Chocolate, cheesecake, pineapple, if you go around clockwise.


After stopping my another sister's work to talk for a few minutes, we got checked into our hotel and took a much needed nap before heading back to campus.  Another alum friend showed up and even my brother!  And he knew EVERYONE...  He didn't even go to this college, he went to a rival across town!  

As Mark and I were getting some treats, he pointed out one of the alums working the DQ booth, Hey, that's Dan ###!  Hey I KNOW him!  So I said hi and he didn't remember me.  But I mentioned that I was now married to Robb McVal and he was all over that.  I told him I'd send Robb to see him.  

A few minutes later, Dan caught up with us bearing 5 mini-blizzards for us and chatted with Robb for a while getting caught up.  Cool!  Literally, it was freezing there.


We kept looking around at the 20 year old people looking for people we knew, but then realized that we're old...  So we should be looking for greyish haired people or people who have swelled a little...

I guess the campus photographer came by before Mark and Dave showed up.  Oh well, we've got the above pic too.  I had to ask a total stranger to take the pic, but not really a stranger, because while they probably graduated a different year, they're still an alum...
family...


I can't believe it's been 30 years...

The tents started getting torn down around 7pm, so Robb, Dave, Mark and I went and crashed the closest Wendy's and Mark introduced me to grape pop foam.  OOHHHH... I might buy some and stick it in the blender for more of the foamy goodness!!!  

We talked for a long while until I had to say ahem!  I'm tired!!!  Many hugs later, Robb and I went back to the hotel.

On Sunday, we left at 4am again and headed home.  Got home in time to get a quick shower and then off to Sunday school.  We really didn't need to have rushed.  NONE of my kids in my class showed up, but how were we to know?

I spent the afternoon doing Legos with Leon and Meri.

Good weekend...  Can't wait to do another!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Time sure does fly by! One of these days I'm going to get blog books made :-)

Blessings,
Jill

Anne in the kitchen said...

I had no idea how old I was (really old) until I started getting stuff on a regular basis from AARP. Now I have to tell TheHub that we are the older generation. It kind of stings!

Michelle said...

I currently work with teachers who are just starting out and I could be their mother! When did this happen?! So, I do feel your pain.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails