Tuesday, January 15, 2019

The Things We Do

On Sunday after church, was my time to finish the project for Meri. She had asked me a while back to make a door for a bedroom in their apartment. It used to be Ryan's room when he lived there. But he never asked for help for a door so he got a curtain and a shower rod to protect his room. 


But now that he was out of the apartment and Meri and company couldn't afford higher rent, she found another roommate. And this roommate was promised a door. 

It is the most awkward doorway imaginable. 

I suppose it's supposed to be a den or a TV room or something like that. But in this case it needs to be a bedroom. I went to Menards, got an idea for it from a guy there and bought the roller bar for across the top. It was to be a barn door style but on the cheap. 

Meri wasn't too keen on the idea, but is only there for another 6 months before her lease runs out and we just want something that will work for that amount of time. We went to Lowe's and found a cheap, cheap door for $20. And some paneling for under $8 a piece. We needed three. After stocking up on Gorilla Glue I got to work. 

The biggest craft project ever. 

Unfortunately I put it together in her garage rather than her downstairs living room. So Meri, Robb and I had to maneuver this big heavy door down the stairs last Tuesday. And then we were all pooped to do anything further. 

Plus I didn't have enough nerve at the time to put some screw holes in the wall until I researched it a little more. The stud finder wasn't finding any nails above the door and later I came to find out that there is one big piece of wood behind the section above the door. The stud finder couldn't find it because there were no nails screwed into that big section. 

I spent two hours after church on Sunday putting it together and Meri helped me lift the door into place. Because of the way I designed it, it hangs a little wonky. Meri was upset at first, but then thought who cares? It'll be the new girl's job to figure it out if she wants it any better. I do have an idea on how to fix the wonky-ness of it by putting a wheel under the far left end of the door to lift it up an inch and take the weight off of the two rollers at the top. But Meri said don't bother and I'm not going to.


Leon was home sick yesterday.  A bad cold that I couldn't see a teacher appreciating in her classroom.  Enough germs flying around in the first grade already without his uncovered coughs!  He colored mostly and drew pictures.  As I worked, I could hear him talking to himself.  He plays well by himself!  AND without electronics!  That was our condition if he stayed home.  No electronics until his dad gets home and then it's on him.


 As I mentioned yesterday Robb went to Wisconsin to see Maddy and Matthew and to bring our van back. But also with the van, he was to bring back a couch that they didn't have room for any more. It was a couch that Meri had wanted in the first place and Meri still wanted it. 

So last night after Robb and I had a date at a Mexican restaurant, Meri texted and said she was home so we went over and took the couch into her front door and down those stairs. It wasn't so much that it was heavy but it was really, really, awkward. And it was only the three of us, a few tempers flared. That's one for each of us. Her friend Alicia, that was going to help, showed up just as we were finishing. Her timing was impeccable. I don't think I could have done better. Mainly because I had the couch with me. We all relaxed in her lower living room well we caught our breath.  Except for Alicia, because she was fine.



 Today is a new day and I have an empty minivan, or at least I will when I take this load of trash down to the resource recovery plant. I see so much potential for my van! And I see space in my garage again! Yay!

 Oh and I finished the puzzle before Leon got up this morning except for three pieces and I let him figure out how to position those. I want to pull it all apart put it back in the box but Leon wants me to glue it together and hang on a wall somewhere. I don't know that I'm that attached to this castle picture to do that, but I might just to please him. 

Isn't it amazing what one is willing to do for our grandchildren and children.

2 comments:

Jane said...

The couch is nice but I can see how it be awkward. You're going to glue how many pieces together?!?

Jane said...

Is that door as wide as it looks (it looks wider than the average door! Great job mom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails