Thursday, May 16, 2019

A Couple of My Favorite Men

Pretty eventful week so far for me...


Robb and I celebrated 31 years of wedded bliss on Tuesday.  Well, not really yet, because I headed off to my hometown immediately after I got off work.  We had been planning an evening out but my dad was having a procedure done to check out his heart valves and I wanted to be there for him.  So Robb said, Instead of driving into the night or wee hours of the morning, get there at a decent time.  Okey dokey!  I got to my sister's around 9 and we all went to bed pretty quickly.

Melanie and I got Dad to the hospital for the TEE (where they drop an ultrasound camera down his esophagus and then tried to sent a stent in for the heart.  He's already had 3 done.  Didn't work.

Kristin met us there.


So we waited for the surgeon to come tell us our options.  Melanie and Kristin had to leave, so I stayed with Dad while he dozed off and on.  He didn't remember the procedures had happened and kept trying to convince us that "Nothing happened in there!"  Those doctors are trying to RIP us off I tell you!


and we waited... and waited...  I didn't want to go to lunch for fear he'd come while I was gone.  


Melanie came back around 3 and I was finally able to run to the cafeteria to get something to eat.  Got back as quick as I could.  THEN while I was in the restroom, the surgeon came by...  Thankfully he held off on the explanation until I got back.  


Oh my, what great bedside manner that surgeon has!  He's from Italy and apart from encouraging Dad to talk, he told his life stories too.  As well as other surgeries that he's done on people much older than Dad and why.  We all talked for over an hour.  What other doctor does THAT?!!  If he had been a used car salesman, all three of us would have bought 5 cars from him.  
But all he was selling was the heart surgery. Dad bought it!

I had to leave and head back home but plan to go back probably tomorrow or Saturday.  

Dad went into surgery this morning and is currently in it.  I don't expect a callback until probably noon to find out how it went.  So many prayers from family and friends have been sent.  

So we wait.

3 comments:

SAM said...

I'm hoping all went well. Good luck to you all, and what great support you are to each other.

Practical Parsimony said...

I love the comment that "nothing happened." That is how I felt after an endoscopy.

Southern Gal said...

Praying all went well with your dad. What a doctor! Happy anniversary to you two!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails