Thursday, November 7, 2019

Chicken Broth and More Broth

I've been making my own chicken and bone broth lately in my Instant Pot.  It's gotten mixed reviews at my house, but is definitely cheaper than purchasing quarts in the store. The complaints I got on the first batch of chicken broth is that it might be too greasy.  It might be a matter of taste tho.  I may tweak my next batch and try to draw more grease out of the broth.  

Here's how I make it.

I buy a whole chicken from Aldi for cheap.  Usually I can get a whole chicken for under $6 or $7.  You can also use chicken wings or thighs, bone in.  Those are even cheaper. 

But for a whole chicken...

Place on the trivet in the Instant Pot and then 1 cup of water.  You can also add a coarsely chopped onion here if you want more flavor.

I put it on manual setting for 50 minutes on high pressure, then let it do a natural release for about 15-20 minutes.  

At that point, if it's not falling off the bone, then put it back in for another 5 minutes and do another natural release.  

Put the whole pot into the fridge with a plate over the top.  Let it cool long enough to be able to handle.  Then debone it. 

Strain the broth out through a towel and put the broth into the fridge to cool completely.

Once cooled, pull the cooled grease off and then package up the broth in two cup packages and freeze.   Don't forget to label with what it is and put a date on it.

While it's cooling, finish the deboning and then put the bones back in the IP along with enough water to get within a couple inches of the top.  Set it for 180 minutes on high pressure.  There's usually a setting on the IP for broth and that will get you close to that if not right on.  Adjust until it is.


Let it do a natural release when it's done and cool.

Once cool, peel off the grease like the chicken broth and cool completely.  Then package and date like the broth.

So voila.  Chicken broth. 

2 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

I make my own broth, I do take all the chicken off the bones and then "cook" them a second time in the broth just to get every iota of bone goodness in it. I have never done it in the instapot before. Thank you for the directions. I am going to be trying that!

Practical Parsimony said...

Do you break the bones? I have tried making broth several times, and it always tastes so nasty, I throw it out,

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails