Monday, September 20, 2021

Iowa Hauntings

 I haven't blogged much lately but got a request from Meri this morning to start up again.  

I need to.

Life has been chaotic and there's been no time to shower, much less blog.  But I'm carving out a LITTLE time... baby steps.

The twins are still with us, so Meri and my walk was at 5:30am today. She had to work at 7 and I needed to get the walk in before the kids woke up.  Ryan was home sleeping so it's not like they were ALONE in the house... I hear them now fussing around a little...  I don't have much time.  My stress levels raise when they're awake and I don't get the things done that I need to.  

But that's a vent for another time.

Today during our very early morning walk out to Robb's gravestone, we walked our usual way and got caught up on each others lives and events of the weekend.  It was pitch black.  I wouldn't do this walk alone at all.  When we got to the cemetery, we sat a dark figure walking the little road that winds through it... and they were singing...  

I'm pretty sure I know who it was but Meri has seen enough scary movies that she was wasting NO time.  We hustled through the cemetery on the grassy part instead of the road.  We could still hear singing the entire way but we walked fast.  Not clear enough to hear what they were singing though.  

Got out to Robb's stone and sat on the grass for a bit while Meri thought she saw two people.  She heard them whistling too.  So we had to talk in VERY hushed tones because if we could hear them........

Robb made us feel safe for a bit but time marches on and we had to get back.  The singing continued and sounded closer as we cut through the cemetery on our even quicker walk back. I think they were walking down the center road close to us... My toes hurt.

So now I'm home.  Housework needs to be getting done and here I am at the desk typing like a mad woman before the twins wake completely.  I think they can totally hear when the dishwasher opens, like a cat and a can opener, and know it's their cue to run in an jump on the door of it...  or pull dangerous things out...  sigh.

The pic is not of this morning but of the other night when I went on a power walk. Iowa is beautiful this time of year!

4 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

I would have cut that dark walk short with the first sighting and sound.

Meg B. said...

I'd brave the dark to avoid being in a house with toddlers.

Anne in the kitchen said...

You are an amazing woman to care for the twins.
I am pretty sure the singing would unnerve me and I would have bolted!

SAM said...

I'm sorry for whatever is happening with the twins and Leon's mother, but what a blessing that they have you to step in and give them safety and family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails