Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Quarantine Day 8 (10?) New Benchmarks

 Guess what?  I started my diet last week, FINALLY!!!!  

The first year of grief and then Christmas really got the better of me and I'd gained 20 pounds from the weight I was at Robb's funeral, which had been my lowest in decades.

Today my weight loss was 5ish pounds!!!!  I've gotten down to my weight that I was at Maddy's wedding. WOOHOO!  I'd used that benchmark for a LOOONNGG time.

I am 15 from my funeral weight benchmark.  And I'll get there.  

It's difficult to cut out breads, potatoes and sugar, but I am doing my best. 

I spent 20 minutes yesterday morning, peeling 2 bags of carrots and then dry canned them in my electric canner for 30 minutes.  They look awesome.  Someday when I crack one open, I'll roast them.

I bought a couple turkeys on sale around Christmastime for cheap and am thawing one right now.  I plan to can Christmas in a jar tomorrow or even later today.  That's when the bottom later is raw turkey, then some gravy, then a layer (maybe) of mashed potatoes, and finally a layer of freshly mixed stuffing and pressure canned for meat times.  It'll be great to have pints of that around for a quick meal when I'm feeling Christmassy!  

Last night, when I got off of work, I was disgusted by the state of our refrigerator.  Things get spilled, congested, stuffed in.  I knew we had groceries but didn't know where things were.  So I sat on the floor and started pulling everything out.  Scrubbing every nook and cranny and there were a lot of them.

It suddenly looks like a brand new fridge!  Well except for the duct tape holding the crispers together.  And yep we have groceries!  Just less now.  And that's ok.  


Good thing I didn't take a pic of what it looked like before.

Over lunch yesterday I sewed on the sample wedding dress.  If I ever get out of this quarantine, I can have my first fitting with the bride and if the dress is done by Valentine's day, she'll be dressed to the nines for it!!!  It's going to be so pretty.  

Here is all the tulle overlay that I'm gathering to fit at the waist.

I hope it fits well and all I have to do is make a duplicate in white!  I can do that!

Ok, Back to work.  Lots to do this morning!

4 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

I am very curious about your electric canner. Could you tell me a little more about it?

SAM said...

The result of a cleaning a refrigerator is pure joy! Now I think I know my plans after work since supper is an easy taco night, and everything is pretty easy to put together. My weigh t gain started 9 months post pandemic, that first cold winter being stuck inside, isolating from so many friends and family. I gained 11 pounds, and already needed to lose a good 50 pounds. So I am back to really thinking hard about what goes into my mouth and when, and hopefully get moving more. I don't have your reason for putting on weight, but hopefully, we both find encouragement.

JRE said...

I can feel for you! In March 2020 as rumors of Covid ramped I prebought all the candy for the 21 Easter baskets I do each year. (12 grandkids and kids/spouses! A lot of candy!, which is my downfall. Well I dropped off puny filled baskets at a distance gaining about 15 pounds those two months. The sadness and terror of watching the news day and night with the Dove eggs and Reese’s PB oh my!! I’m working on getting it off now.

JRE said...

Sorry replying to Sam, I certainly feel for your circumstances. I do understand how tough things are. I was widowed 25 years ago when my husband was 41. He had cancer. My youngest of four turned 5 that week. Time has just gone so fast. Grief changes day to day but I have made a wonderful life with a wonderful family. ( most days ha!) I’m so glad for your family with you also.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails