Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cookies this side of the barrel

Maddy had some friends over last night for a movie/trampoline/bonfire evening. She had asked me to make some cookies when I got home from Taekwondo. ok. We had agreed on Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and after texting her at the trampoline a few times, (is it bad that I communicate with my kids with texts even tho we're all home?) decided I would only make 24. The season premiere of Warehouse 13 was on and I wanted to catch a little of it... so I didn't want to sit in the kitchen all night.

I found a recipe on the back of the oatmeal barrel that had the title of The Best Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookie ever. I thought, Hmmm.. Can't go wrong with that! We were out of butter before I left for class and Robb had picked up some margarine. I don't make cookies with that... But the recipe called for veg shortening and I had some. Typically I'd use straight butter, but oh well.

Because our oven gets hotter than it should, we're in the habit of pulling things out of it about 5 minutes earlier than what the recipes call for, so it's kind of a guessing game... Especially with cookies that only need to be in there for 13 minutes, according to the recipe.

I pulled them out of the oven at 9 minutes and they looked overly brown. The kids came in about that time and one girl ate one saying it was good. I didn't think they looked that good. The picture makes them look delish! But I was sure when they cooled they'd be crispy little burnt things! The boys were just interested in starting the movie, so they didn't even try one.

So this morning, ALL the cookies except the one that her friend ate are still sitting on the cooling rack. darn. They must have look too burnt. I ate one and they were pretty good! Soft and not burned at all. I definitely prefer the butter taste tho, but oh well. next time.

Those kids don't know what they missed out on!
But now they're MINE now I tell you! All mine!

16 comments:

Annie Jones said...

They look good to me!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I don't think they look burnt. They definitely would not be safe from me!

Frances said...

I don't even like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and those look delish to me. I love oatmeal cookies and I love chocolate chip cookies, but just don't like choc chips in my oatmeal cookies. LOL! Am I weird?

Macey said...

I actually love slightly overcooked cookies! :)

Sonya Ann said...

"Because our oven gets hotter than it should"-Let me guess, it's a GE. We have the same problem!
They looked pretty good. DO you have a link to the recipe?

mamahasspoken said...

Hehehe, I've been known to text my son it's dinner time when he is upstairs. Beats yelling and hopeing that he heard me!

Liz said...

"One woman's trash is another woman's treasure!" Enjoy!

Carma Sez said...

Hey, that worked out well in your favor :D

Leah said...

Oh yes a little burned or not they look so so good! I need to make some asap!

slugmama said...

Well over baked cookies have NO calories....didn't you know that?
Enjoy I say, enjoy!!lol

Meg said...

My husband actually LIKES them a little on the overdone side!

KK said...

I usually do half and half

Leslie said...

Burned? Did you say they're burned? Nah... we don't burn, simply say, "I added texture, character and some extra love".. :)

By far these cookies do not look burned compared to some of the hockey puks I've taken out of the oven. I bet they would have been great under vanilla ice cream.. :)

Anonymous said...

I think they look delicious! My boys just won't eat oatmeal cookies though they love oatmeal! My older son decided he loved oatmeal cookies when he made a recipe from southern living with cranberries, white chocolate and oatmeal. However, the dad, me and him are the only ones who eat them - which I must say has its benefits if you do not care how much weight you gain:)

jp@A Green Ridge said...

You had to talk cookies! I am the biggest cookie monster ever...I made 136 dozen for Christmas! Come see for yourself...:)JP

Anonymous said...

OH my, these look totally delicious! I am not very good at baking, so seeing these are making me drool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails