Friday, October 21, 2011

List of Homemade Gift Ideas

I started doing some hunting around online yesterday for some handmade/homemade/sewn/whatever gifts that I can make for my loved ones this Christmas.

You gotta start early, you know... Or they're only going to get a can of oil or a filter from the local gas station that's open on Christmas eve... (Hear that Honey?!)

Here's what I found that appeals to me. I think some of these items will work for Meri to make also.

1. Canned Cakes - I am anxious to try this out and see how long they last preserved. TOO cool. Plus I love poppyseeds! I'm wondering what other kinds of cakes I can try to can and how to eat them when you're ready to...2. Cookies!!!! - I LOVE Christmas cookies and goodies of all kinds! Which explains why I can't fit into my wedding gown anymore... Can't wait to start into these. Might actually try a batch tomorrow morning. SSH! We'll call them October cookies.


3. Framed Wordles Maddy makes these all the time and her room is decked out in them. She uses Bible verses for her word clouds.4. Recipe Scrapbook I may do a quicker variation for someones gift this year... That way I can pass on our "Needs Salt Casserole" or "Goo-slop" recipes to the next generation.

5. Gifts for Dad - The kids will need to make something for their dads, don't you think? This would be good for Fathers Day especially, but would work for Christmas gifts too.

6. Dry Erase Board Would be a cool gift for a college student! Such a neat idea!

7. Sew Mama Sew! Handmade Holiday gift ideas - BUNCHES of ideas!

8. The Best Hot Cocoa mix recipe A few years ago, my sister gave me some cocoa mix in cute little cone shaped bags with ribbon tied up to close it and chocolate covered candy canes for stirrers. I may have to do this for teacher gifts this year. With maybe a mug to tuck them into...

9. Fail proof Muffin Mixes Ok - how many of us have received these and kept them on a shelf because they're just too darn cute to bake up?! Well, now you can give them out yourself! Or use them for a craft sale!

10. Puzzle mat - I have a friend who is a puzzle fiend! This would be perfect for her as her husband rushes her to finish a puzzle so they can use the card table it's set up on for Christmas dinner...

11. Homemade soaps - I am SO going to make these in the caffeinated variety for some college students I know!

12. 50 Homemade gifts and gift ideas - lots of ideas in here to get your creative juices flowing! And a whole weekend coming up to do something about it!

13. Christmas ornament ideas I love homemade Christmas ornaments on my tree! It makes it so personalized and every ornament has a story then.

14. Heirloom Photo Ornament This idea is so cool and EASY! What a great idea!

15. Friendship bracelets This would be perfect for Meri to make for her cousins & friends!

16. Homemade pot holders - huge variety of free patterns!

17. Christmas Candy Cane pillow So Cute! I might have to make one just for me...18. Dishtowel Angel Someone gave me some washclothes that were sewn loosely together to look like little britches. They were so cute that they still hang on my wall... So when I saw this, I was intrigued! Such a neat idea!Anyway, these are the only ones I saved out of the billions I looked up yesterday. They are do-able and would make good gifts. I've started a spreadsheet of the people that we give gifts to every year with my kids and hubby included. They won't see it. It's pass-worded. Hear that kids?! You can't get into it!!!

Anyway, I've got Monday off from work, so I won't be blogging that day. We had originally talked of going on a college visit with Maddy, but think we'll hit the zoo instead and maybe a lunch out with the kids. And perhaps... a little gift making...

Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

Michelle said...

These are all great ideas!

Annie Jones said...

Fun ideas! I'm thinking of making some Wordles for Kat. Star Wars to start...

Flat Creek Farm said...

Wonderful ideas - I will come back and investigate further :) I love homemade presents - both the receiving and the making! Thanks for the inspiration. NOW is the time to begin, eh? -Tammy

The Old Parsonage said...

I'm impressed and yelling yes this is a great list. Love that you are thinking ahead!

Enjoy your weekend!
Leann

Macey said...

I'm bookmarking these links!

Elle Bee said...

I am totally going to try the canned cakes!! Neat!

Sonya Ann said...

1, 8, and 11 are screaming my name!!! I'm with MiMi and will bookmark this one!!
I missed you and I'm glad I'm back!

Petra said...

I just bookmarked these. Thank you so much. Stopping by from Larri's Seams Inspired.

Sheila said...

Hey McVal, nice list but don't forget homemade Kahlua & Bailey's Irish Cream, the flavored vodkas etc. After all, it's the holidays ;)

Frances said...

Great list, McVal! I will be checking these out!

I was intrigued by Sheila's comment. I want to make some Kahlua! It is my fave!

Pennie said...

This was THE MOST HELPFUL post! Thanks, Val!

Jill said...

Always wonderful to get more inspiration for Christmas gifts each year. I've done the recipe book idea and I love it! Something useful to last for years to come!
Have a great day tomorrow!!

Blessings,
jill

slugmama said...

Alas....if I only had someone who appreciated homemade gifts in my life.
The last gift I made was a scarf for my nephew. I figured since nobody had EVER made him anything personal in his life(since he doesn't have a mom to do that sort of thing), he'd appreciate/love that I spent the time/energy/thought to do this for him. But no, he grunted at me(I think it was a thank you?)and balled it up and pouted that it wasn't a gift card to Hollister. I am sure he's never worn it and probably just threw it away when he got home.
This Christmas I'm wrap him up some manners.... ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails