Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sewing and Sorting

Maddy is starting to get back into her college prep mode and we started a list of things she wanted me to sew before she headed north to the great white tundra that is Minnesota.  Well... or will be in a few months...

and no.  I don't sew her parkas.

Her futon couch will not be up against a wall this year!  I haven't seen her new dorm room, but apparently it's big enough to have the futon perpendicular to the wall.  She wanted something that she could hang off the back bar of it and stow the remote, a book, a snack, what have you.  So she originally designed something that would span the width of the couch, but without seams to make pockets, I thought it might gape quite a bit.  So we shortened it.  It will hang in the middle.  Even though button holes and myself are NOT friends, denim is pretty strong and stable when making them, so i went for it.  It won't be going to the fair!  oh well.  It will be functional!  I put three button holes on each strap so she can raise or lower it accordingly.  

Didn't have 4 large matching buttons and Maddy didn't care.  :)


Here is a list that Sonya did on what to take to college with you if you can fit it all into your car.  I have taken that list, put it in a spreadsheet, taken another list I found on line and compiled another list of them combined.  It's printed off and Maddy has been marking things off and highlighting things she still needs to pick up.  OOH!  I will show you her new coffee table tomorrow I hope!
 
This week, we have our niece staying until Saturday!  I'm sure I'll get pics of her later.  But in my organizing and getting ready for company mode, I pulled all of Leon's books out of his book box and made them more accessible to him.  This little bench was made by my godfather and favorite uncle Paul.  He died when I was 14.  He had made it for our church's Sunday school rooms and somehow I ended up with it!  It has graced my kids rooms for years, holding their books and/or butts.  In the more recent years been in my office holding my sewing books.  


But now it's back to good use and for a little someone who will adore his new display and reading access.  He's gotten into books a LOT lately.

So there is what I've been up to when not trying to go crazy.
What keeps YOU busy?

4 comments:

Sonya Ann said...

Thank you for the linky love!
That list is a killer but I think that I am about done. PHEW!
And great idea about the bag for the back of the futon. You could make and sell those.

slugmama said...

GMTA!
I got my list in hand and as soon as I wake up #2 Son at the crack of NOON, we will embark on the "pre-college gathering".

I suspect a "pre-college shopping trip" will follow too and hopefully it's not very long or expensive.

Michelle said...

Best of luck to Maddy, and her Mom, on getting all things together to go back to the Great White North!

Frances said...

The back of the futon bag is great! And using the bench as a bookshelf is fabulous! The perfect furniture for a tiny reader.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails