Friday, May 8, 2015

Snakes... Why did it have to be snakes?

So I'm still talking about last weekend...  The days following were a bust and I don't want to relive them.  Robb has been out of town all week and every second of my time away from work has been chauferring kids here or there.  Or cleaning, a little...  Or feeding animals...  Nothing interesting.  

My life is on the weekends.

Last Sunday morning, we started on the 2nd leg of the triangle we call Bermuda.  After dropping Maddy off at the dorm, Leon got back to a sleep of sorts.  Meri slept in the front seat and I drove whilst holding Maddy's old GPS to the window to get a signal for the next turn.  We were headed from Minnesota to western Iowa to attend the graduation party of one of my lovely nieces.


I ate a lot of sunflower seeds that weekend...

Just before Lemars, Iowa, Meri grabbed my arm and said that the snake was on her purse!  Well, her feet were on the dash and she wasn't freaking too badly, so I wasn't sure if she was serious.  It's probably just a strap from her purse, but I pulled over anyway.  

Yep - on the floor amidst some things that had been pulled out of her overnight bag, there on her purse, was the snake that had eluded us for the past 1.5 weeks in the house!  I grabbed an article of her clothing, gripped it by the tail and whipped Snape the Snake into the ditch.  He slithered off so happily, we almost cried out of happiness for him.


Apparently it had rested on Meri's foot and moved across her ankle.  She put her feet up on the dash when she realized what was going on.  It must have stowed away in her overnight bag when we were still at home.  
It's the most well traveled snake I've ever met!

And she was the most calm I've seen her around wild life!
 
So adventures abounded and we arrived in time to attend church with my parents & sister's family.  Then briefly attended Bethany's party.  


And then there were sharks... 


Will danger never leave us??


Dad looked like the shark was afraid of HIM!
 
Because one of Meri's close friends was holding a graduation party that same day, we could only stay at Bethany's for a VERY brief time and then we headed back on the 3rd leg of our journey to come full circle.  We made it to the party in the very last minute that the invite said it would last.  Meri's friends all showed up about that time too so she was happy!  We were there at least another 30 minutes...  And Leon spilled some lemonade on the floor, so there's that.

We actually got home at a decent time!  So while we unloaded the car, we noticed that the horse drawn wagon was coming down our road.  And I'd heard from someone in town that it's just a guy with a horse and a wagon and he just drives it around town on Sundays giving folks free rides.  Wow...  So Meri and Leon rushed to the street.  Meri wasn't willing to flag him down, but Leon was.  "HEY!  I WANT RIDE!"  So they got to go on the ride!  They came around again in about 20 minutes.


I'm so glad they didn't bring any pets back with them...

And I'm so glad it's a weekend again!!!!  Have a good one!

5 comments:

Southern Gal said...

Oh.my.mercy. There would have been blood. Seriously. I'm not too fearful of snakes, but on her ankle!!!! My husband is terribly afraid of them. Spiders scare me worse. But.oh.my.lanta, as Joy would have said. ;)

Rachel said...

I would have freaked out about the snake. I won't even go into the snake buildings at zoos because I am that afraid!

Michelle said...

A snake?! I had a bee in the car once and that about freaked everyone out! Can't believe a snake stowed away!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I am surprised you didn't run the car into the ditch. You're a heck of a lot braver than me that's for sure!

Jane said...

which is worse, snakes or spiders? That's a toss-up but at least you can usually squash a spider, you can't really (or shouldn't) squish a snake!! Glad it all worked out without anyone getting hurt!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails