Monday, October 5, 2015

My Uncle Sam


In Memory of my uncle Sam.  

That wasn't his real name, but the name he always went by.  I'd met him maybe 3 or 4 times in my life.  He had moved to California before I was born.  His boys came to stay with us for a summer once when I was around 10.


My dad's remaining brother.  Three others passed away while Dad was still at home on the farm.  One by drowning, one in his sleep and one in a war.  And now Sam from cancer.


 
Since Sam was so far away and Dad has had such a horrible year with his broken back and leg, it wasn't advisable for him to make the trip for the funeral.  So on Saturday, one of my sisters coordinated a memorial for Sam.  Some of Dad's kids, grandkids and greats along with his sister and her family attended.  

It was nice to see cousins whom I hadn't seen since we were all SO much younger.  


 
A Nebraska game was on, so luckily the community center tv was able to be tuned in to that and an uncle and cousin-in-law swooped in on that.


The kids either played outside or worked on puzzles.  Since my siblings and my kids didn't know their 2nd cousins, there wasn't a lot of mingling going on.  Too bad.


 
My dad had written a letter to be read at the actual funeral and that was read here too.  My dad and aunt talked about memories of Sam and I learned a lot about this mysterious uncle of mine.


 
It brought closure for Dad and I'm very thankful for that.  He had been talking to Sam every week most of this year and his death hit Dad pretty hard.

It's been a rough year.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about this. Death is coming to all of us but we never seem prepared when it happens. My condolences.

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about this. Death is coming to all of us but we never seem prepared when it happens. My condolences.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails