Monday, February 15, 2016

McValentine's Weekend Foibles

Per usual, I've been busy this weekend...   


On Friday night I did relax by making some homemade pizza with a few twists.  I found a video that someone posted on FB about making food roses.


Nailed it!  Kind of...  Some looked like mutants.


For the last couple times I've made pizza, I've also added cheesy breadsticks to my repertoire.  


Oh man, these are easy AND yummy!  I roll out a thin strip of dough about a couple inches wide and 5-6 inches long.  Then, because I had gobs of string cheese in the fridge, I wrapped one up in the dough and then baked them.  I made several.  

I haven't figured out how to make them not explode yet, but I'm willing to keep trying it...  They make the BEST breadsticks!  So soft and yummy...  You can brush them with egg white and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top if you feel fancy.

After supper, I sewed and sewed.  
On Saturday, I sewed and sewed.  

I'm determined to finish these bowling shirts by next weekend!  

 I used my new found hobby, because you just can't have too many of those!!!  and embroidered their names onto the shirts in true bowling shirt fashion.

On Saturday afternoon, Meri had a Jazz band competition about an hour away.  


We loaded up and enjoyed it so much!  


After some confusion afterwards about who was going home with who, we ended up in the right cars and made it home.  

I worked more on the embroidery. I'll show you pics of that tomorrow.

I also proposed an idea to Ryan about putting in velco for the shirt closure rather than buttonholes.  He said that if I expect him to wear it more than once, please do the buttonholes...

But yuck.  I hate button holes!  

It typically takes me 3 weeks to do them and that's just gearing up to do it.  It only takes, in reality, 30 minutes...  But you have to psych yourself up for it and be extremely careful.  At least with my machines you do.  Plus I couldn't find the button holer contraption for my machine so I winged it with setting #17 and traced the heck out of the shirt before I did it.  Also ran several test runs on sample fabric to give me enough nerve.


That was Sunday afternoon.  After praying about it at church and after visiting Ada at the nursing home and commiserating with her about it,  I even put in a call to Doctor Phil, but he wasn't available.

The button holes are done!  I just need to find buttons to fit them now. :)
Talk about the cart before the horse!!!


If button holes don't spell out LOVE for Valentine's Day, I just don't know what...

 Sunday evening I traced out the image for the back that I wanted to paint onto the shirts and went for it.  


This one is Leon's and it is done except for buttons.


On Ryan's I made the mistake of moving it too soon because I was painting on our bed and Robb wanted to go to bed.  Whoops!  Just a minute!!!  There are a couple smudges now.


But all in all, I think they're turning out ok.  No one is paying for these, so that's good!
I don't know if they'll go to the fair yet.

Found out yesterday that my mom had fallen at her nursing home and broken her nose!  I feel so bad that she's clear over there and I'm clear over here...  I'm so thankful for the siblings that were visiting them this weekend and the ones that live in town and can be there for her!

I have a lot of siblings.

So it's been a long but short weekend and I'm exhausted.  This week I need to concentrate on getting my sewing group's newsletter ready to roll AND get ready for Maddy and Matthew to come this weekend!!

What did you do this weekend?

1 comment:

Jane said...

So sorry your mom broke her nose!!! I hope it's not too painful and that she recovers quickly! I saw those bacon roses on Sonya Ann's blog I think - they look yummy as do the bread sticks and pizza!!! I have never attempted button holes EVER! I only buy patterns that only need a zipper or nothing! You are braver than I!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails