Monday, May 23, 2016

Grinding it down

Tomorrow will be just photos...  I left the camera in the car and Robb has it today. We're still shuffling cars, but things are looking better.  We should have Meri's truck back tonight, which will free up a car for me!  AND the boy may be buying his own car today too.  Not sure yet on that one...  

I guess it depends on if the prospective car passes a driving test.

SO.  My weekend rundown without pictures... Which sucks because my camera tells me all that happened this weekend.  Well, except for yesterday, but that memory is still pretty fresh.

Friday night.  I made pizza, Meri had some grad parties with friends and the rest of us just sat around and visited with Maddy until Meri came home, then the girls and I finished up the movie Only the Lonely.  

Saturday.  Maddy and I attended my sewing meeting where the focus was on the history of weddings in small town Iowa.  Hearing some of the stories that were told about various engagements, weddings and events was so great.  The free table was out and we found some black sequined fabric in about 5-6 yards.  Gorgeous stuff!!!  Meri is plotting out her Junior prom and has already secured a date for it.  So we grabbed the sequined fabric before anyone else did.  Meri loved it so that's what we're going to use.

I DID bring my wedding dress box along and for the first time in 28 years, I unsealed the box!  So this was the first time I'd seen my dress since I'd taken it to the cleaners all those years ago.  I found that it had discolored with age, so the sealed box didn't do more than keep the bugs out I suppose.  My veil was in there too.  The lace that I'd attached to the hem because I'd cut it a smidge too short was falling off, so the cleaning people had safety pinned parts of it back on.  One sleeve seam had come undone at the top.  

I don't think I'll be wearing it again..  Definitely not FIT in it again.  BUT maybe someday it'll grace a mannequin for our 50th wedding anniversary.  AFTER I mend and clean it myself.

Below is my aunt Bonnie's dress from their 50th anniversary party last June.  


Anyway, Robb was waiting in the parking lot so we had to run as soon as the program was over.

Got home and I don't remember everything that afternoon, but Maddy, Leon and I weeded in the front yard landscaping and Leon learned how to open the front door from the outside.  BIG improvement to his pounding on the door to have people let him in!  He drove the Barbie/Batman jeep around the driveway and pulled a few volunteer trees for me.  I found Basil and purple flowers volunteering around my Sedum that shouldn't have been there, so we worked on coraling the plants to their rightful places.  Got a pile of rejects on the patio drying.

I actually cut out and sewed part of the bodice of that wedding gown last night!!!  It WILL get done!  AND I got to use the new iron that I got for Mother's Day.  It has a ten minute automatic shutoff on it...  But I guess almost all of them do nowadays.  Gone are the days of sewing all day with the thing warming up the room...  And gone are my anxieties about "DID I LEAVE THE IRON ON?"  and "WHICH NEIGHBOR CAN I CALL TO BREAK INTO MY HOUSE AND CHECK MY IRON?"

Well, probably none now.  Our dogs alienate us.

That night, Robb suggested that we watch "Man Up" and it was great!  If we'd used Vid Angel, it would have been better as the girls and I learned a lot of ways to use the F word.  But oh well.  

DON'T SAY THAT WORD GIRLS!!

At church, Leon was a pistol.  He was either writing his name and other words in a notebook (which he's really getting good at), looking up Meri's dress or kissing Maddy's feet.  

Afterwards, Robb and I took him to his mom's house and then we headed to Omaha where my fave cousin's OTHER son's grad party was taking place.  We surprised her but not enough to leave her speechless this time.  We sat with her folks and I got to visit with my aunt Dorc who makes me think of my mom SO much.  It's the voice....  She is a really good story teller and told a story about a trip she, mom, grandpa and three of my parent's foster kids took years ago.  

Mom, Grandpa and the foster girls picked up Dorcas later than planned and headed to Missouri for a family reunion.  Stopping on several occasions because the girls needed a potty break or Grandpa wanted to stretch his legs. It was a long trip and they had to try and find a hotel for the night.  

No rooms were available anywhere.  Since they'd just had a potty break, they decided to find a dark road or school grounds where no one would drive by and wake them up and they'd just sleep in the van.  As they looked for such a place they suddenly came across a KOA camp. SCORE!  It was 1 am in the morning and the office lights were off.  So they figured they'd just pull in and pay in the morning.  They parked between two RVs and in front of another one with their lights off.  Didn't make a peep or even open a door so they wouldn't wake any other campers and they dropped off to sleep.

In the morning they looked around and realized that the KOA camp had been converted into a used car lot...  

Dorcas told it better.

So after the 45 minutes of goodbyes, we headed home and enjoyed some leftover pizza and visiting with the girls until we finally crashed.

While I was waiting for my computer to reboot this morning, I worked up a list of to dos for work today and it's a big one.  A lot of time consuming items on it too.  darn.

So... nose to the grindstone, eh?

3 comments:

Southern Gal said...

Yay for the score of the fabric! That's awesome!

I always wondered if the boxing of wedding dresses really worked? I guess you'd have to have it in a climate controlled place with nothing touching it that could cause discoloration? When Rebekah wore my dress, I used oxyclean and threw it in the washing machine! Because it was mostly Chantilly lace it stood up well. It's hanging in my closet again only altered for Rebekah's tastes. Who knows - Maybe Nora or Ava would like to wear their Nona's antique wedding gown when they get married?

Love the story of the KOA Campground. ;)

Jill said...

Can't wait to see what you create with the fabric! I never had my dress preserved but is holding up ok. Slight yellowing but not too bad :-) Have a fabulous day!

Blessings,
Jill

Michelle said...

Just reading about your busy times, makes me tired! But, the KOA story totally revived me! lol!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails