Friday, September 30, 2016

That's how they get YA

When I started 6th grade, I was finally able to attend the small church school where my mom taught.  I had been in public school up until that time and while I enjoyed it, I always envied my siblings who were old enough to go to the church school.  

At the time, it only went from 6th - 12th.  A couple years after I started, they opened it up to kindergarten through 12th.   It kind of felt like I was playing school at first, but then it got serious and I worked hard on my school work.  

I've got some great memories but they're all so hazy now.  I do remember learning how to type on those old clackity clack typewriters, playing chess with one of the teacher's younger brothers during recess and him handcuffing a trouble maker to the flag pole once.   Alan was dead set on going into the military and always wore fatigues to school so of course he always had handcuffs handy!

The "playing school bit" kind of reminded me of something Leon told me the other day.  


Me: "So what did you learn at school today?"

Leon: "I didn't learn anything!  It's not a learning kind of school.  We play games and run around at recess!"

:)  In preschool, that's where they trick you!  You're actually learning through play.  

Enjoy it now while you're young kid!

4 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

What fun would going to a learning school be? My wish for him is that school will always be a place of joy.

SAM said...

I agree with Anne. DD left the house so stressed-I long for the days when she skipped out the door, happy to be there. She still likes it overall, but her load is heavy.

Michelle said...

Ha! Leon's comment gave me a good chuckle!

Jill said...

That's right Leon... there's nothing better then learning through play!! If only more people could open their eyes to that possibility :-) Have a great week!

Blessings,
Jill

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails