Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Washer Died.

The washer died...  
And it's not at all similar to the phrase, "The rabbit died."

Our washing machine was acting up and stopping half way through batches one day, then the next day stopped when it got full and hummed...  

It's nice that it could carry a tune!  


I asked on the local FB swap page for appliance repair suggestions and a friend of mine said it could be a sock!  Sweet!!  If only...  So I was going to fix it myself.  I got the water mostly drained from it then started taking off a few screws.  oops...  I had no idea what I was doing and those were probably bearing screws...  I figured if I got it a part, I'd never get it back together right.  So I called a guy who was willing to come look at it for $55.  Cheaper than another place I was going to call.  

He came and was aghast at the amount of dogfood that had slid under the machine.  I did warn him...

He didn't outright say anything but I could see it in his eyes...

Well, no sock.  Apparently washers have transmissions!  Who knew?  Ours was shot.  Probably from the too large of batches that a certain someone who lives with us does.  Not ALL your clothes and towels need to fit in one batch!!!  

sigh...

Robb and I went shopping last night.  We found the next step up from the cheapest as it had a slightly larger capacity.  We'll need it for certain thick blankets that make it into my laundry room...  and for the person from the above paragraph.  It may not help but oh well.  

We're picking it up on Saturday and installing it ourselves.  Hook up hoses and plug it in... easy right?

I'll let you know...

While we were at Lowes, the family waiting for help with dishwashers in the next aisle were our old neighborhood neighbors of ours.  They admired the sleeping boy on my shoulder and remembered when his daddy was his age.  Their boy is in the Marines!  Time sure does fly by and kids grow up!  yikes.  We had a good visit, then my arm fell asleep so I let Robb handle things and I took Leon to the car.  

Will probably work from the laundromat this afternoon so we won't have a mold problem...

On the way home last night, Leon piped up.  He announced that his daddy couldn't be an astronaut because he smoked.  But Grandma Val could!  I told him that I wouldn't be able to run or be strong enough, so he said that I could stay in the spaceship and study.  

What could I study?

"You could study about God."

Hmmm.. ok!

"And Grandpa can work and protect you from the astronaut zombies!!  That's another word for aliens."

Hmmmm..  I did NOT know that.


He was on a roll!  He went on with other nonsense conversations with us and kept the rest of the ride exciting and weird.

I think it was the candy that he picked out at the British pub while we waited for Ryan to get off work...

Or the shopping for washers!  That always gets me wound up.

4 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

Your time with Leon is so adorable and I truly do thank you for sharing it with us. I wish the granddaughter lived closer, so I could enjoy everyday time with her.
I know appliances are a necessity for us all but I hate replacing them. I have been nudging additional life out of my dishwasher for about 3 years now. It has literally been held together with zip ties and duck tape and I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. The only thing I hate spending money on more than an appliance is a roof.

Meg B. said...

I have a certain someone here as well. Mine refuses to turn on the fan during his 2-3 30 minute showers/day. Can you say mold? I've had the whole ceiling redone. And, the towels used for such make their way to the laundry room after one use. And he wonders why I am looking forward to his heading off to college. And adults who aren't in college don't get to live with us for reasons like this!

Linda said...

That washing machine is just like the one I had to replace. I did not have time to find a part. Mine had a great transmission! But, the connection between hose and tub had rusted. I really wanted to repair that machine or cannibalize one like yours with a good tub. I wish our washers had given up the ghost at the same time. I would have driven anywhere to get your tub...or have it shipped to me. I got a washer at Lowe's that gave me only six inches of water, even if it was a load of towels or a blanket and no matter WHAT height water I chose.

The young man started telling me how he had to tell his mother how to wash clothes, just like he was going to tell me. I said to him, and put my hand up in a "stop" sign..."I am 70 and you are not thirty, and I don't think your mother is young. Neither of us need you to tell us how to wash clothes! We have successfully done this for year!" I had them pick it up and I bought a washer from a rental place that will give me a tub of water.

I hope you did not get the model I did. You won't like it. I wanted a Speed Queen, but the $800 price stopped me.

Lowe's charges for delivery, hook up, and carry off of the old appliance. I had a friend pick it up and hook it up. The old washer was put in the back yard and a guy who picks up appliances for salvage took it off for free. No carry off and no dump fee.

The little bit of water is an effort to conserve water. But, if you wash a tiny load, you have to wash many tiny loads, using more electricity...no conservation there!

SAM said...

I'm sure there are other things you'd rather spend money on, but life is as such. I think Leon is very profound. It makes senses to study god as an astronaut in space. We are the only "full" original family in our 26 year old neighborhood. Tow other Dad's were here but they traded up for different model wives (just kidding). When I run into old neighbors and see/hear about how much their kids have changed, I forget that I still think of my own as just children.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails