Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Am I doing this right?

Several weeks ago, my dear bloggy friend Sonya Ann, posted something about boiled peanuts on Facebook.  
And let me say right here...  WHERE ARE YOU SONYA!!!??!!
She lost her mojo and she may not come back...
I miss you...

BUT she's on FB, so I follow her there.
Any-nuts, back to the boiled peanuts.

I responded with eewww... or something in an equally encouraging manner.

She, Sluggy and Ann in the kitchen pounced!  Lovingly of course!
We bloggers are wonderful people.
Just ask us.
They said, "Don't knock it until you try it" and "Fresh is SO much better than canned" and other some such nonsense...
 
So I took their advice.  I found it on Amazon and we ordered a can.  And since I'd been dieting for the wedding, there it sat in our cupboard until last night.

 

A week or so ago, Robb and I were at Walmart and found it on their shelves.  
Seriously??...
Oh well.  We still hadn't tried them, so I wasn't about to stock up anyway.

Back to last night.  Robb made supper and heated up a can.  It looked and smelled like dirty boiled peanuts. hmmm...  Is this REALLY considered a side??  Or a snack?


And yes.  I actually took an unsuccessful bite out of the shell first.

Amazon had a label over the directions, so that's why we were in the dark.
Oh.  I guess you have to shell them...

And we did.  We both kind of liked them!  Robb said that they tasted like soggy peanuts.
I was SO glad they were salted!! 


My rings got all crusted over with salt water, but it washed off.  We ate most of them and stuck the rest in the fridge.  I don't know if that is proper procedure or not...

I guess we need to try the fresh green peanuts sometime, but where do you get them?  I think I'm too far north of I80 to find any here...  And Amazon doesn't sell them.

So anyway, as I promised Sluggy, Ann and Sonya, there is my review.
I'd eat them again.

I'm a saltaholic.  How can I not?

5 comments:

Anne in the Kitchen said...

I got this one, since I am a redneck from Alabama. Yes you shell them and eat them and all their salty goodness. I am not a huge salt lover so I rinse them first, which is supposedly some crime against boiled peanut nature but I rinse anyway.
I have only had the canned ones once and thought they were crap, but I know how to buy them/make them. The best place to get them fresh is to buy them straight out of the cooking pot from a filling station in lower (name your southern state here) They are best eaten warm, but I have eaten them cold since you do have to refrigerate the leftovers. Optimally they will be cooked by a grizzled gas station owner and the place might be affiliated with a particular gas brand but will have none of the trappings of a traditional gas station, and should also have a produce stand with at the very least some fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. With a little luck you should also be able to purchase live bait and a cold watermelon at the same place.
Now I need to make a little road trip!

slugmama said...

Don't forget that said gas stations will also sell pickled pig parts(various)and giant dill pickles(and if you are near lower LA or MS said giant dill pickles soaked in Kool-Aid powder).
You really need to live where they grow peanuts to get them raw and green(and fresh). Come here and I'll take you down to VA, the peanut capital of the US and fill your car trunk.
I knew you'd like them because of that salt! You can also make a spicy version with Cajun seasoning, garlic and other things in it....not that I'd eat those though. lolz

Michelle said...

I have eaten them fresh and am not a fan! lol I just can't get into them. Gross!

Jane said...

Have read the comments and none of them inspire me to try eating boiled peanuts. AND we grow peanuts way up here in the north! I do eat a lot of peanuts (shelled) lightly salted but have never seen boiled peanuts in any store around here. Oh darn.

Southern Gal said...

Never had boiled peanuts?! You are definitely not in the South. Every grocery store plus Walmart has the green peanuts around here. Some convenience stores sell boiled peanuts year round. You have to try Cajun if you like spicy stuff.
Funny how I never think of these things until someone says they've never had them. Please tell me you've had shrimp and grits!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails