Thursday, June 29, 2017

For local people. maybe

I tried to think of foods that you only get in the mid-west and southerners would think were silly, but can't really unless you talk about fair food...  But then, most fair food is just over the top and silly.  I mean...  Deep fried butter on a stick?  The lines were always too long for me to get one.  I've heard it tastes a bit like french toast.

So, Iowa food... 

There is the pork tenderloin sandwich, which just got out of hand in Iowa...  Each place trying to make the biggest sandwich.  While they ARE delicious, yikes.  Any ma and pa type restaurant will serve them and there are plenty around. yay!


Iowa chops, which are super thick cut pork chops from corn fed hogs.  Fresh grilled.  Yummm...


And that brings me to sweet corn sold on the street corners.  I grew up on a hobby farm.  My parents purchased 14 acres just before I was in 2nd grade because my older brother wanted to be a farmer and Dad jumped at the chance to help Mark fulfill that dream.  Dad had grown up on a dairy farm and loved being back on a farm and able to tinker with tractors in his free time.  Home was just a few miles from the nearest Shopko, so all was good.  

During the summers, Dad planted corn or alfalfa in the two small fields the farm provided.  My sisters and I would sit on the back ledge of the tractor when Dad plowed and we'd jump off and yank out milk weeds whenever we saw one.  I can still feel the soft warm dirt as my feet were dragged through it. mmmm....

I learned how to drive a tractor before I could drive a car.  Stick shift?  No PROBLEM!!!  Well, after the first several hops of the car, no problem...  I figured it out.  Cars ARE a little different than tractors.  

But Dad would need someone to drive the tractor while he picked up the bales of hay after the baler had been there and we all fought for the chance to do the driving instead of picking up bales.

And the worse part of baling hay is finding half a snake.  yuck.  Actually the very worse part would be to find a whole live snake...  and there were several of those on the farm.  

When I was a little older, my sisters and I would camp out on top of the hay bale stack.  Spread out some sleeping bags and talk under the stars.  It never lasted very long into the night though.  

Oh back to the corn.  My mom was a school teacher so she had the summers off.  EARLY on a weekday morning, she would wake us up and head us out to the corn field to pick the corn.  I remember walking through the wet corn leaves and filling a five gallon bucket with ears of corn and then emptying it in either the back end of the station wagon or the trunk of sedan.  Once it was full, we would pick up paper sacks at a local grocery store, then sit at a corner somewhere in my home city, sort the corn, pull off smut and sell the sweetcorn during the rest of the world's lunch hour and into the afternoon until it was all gone.


If it wasn't gone by supper time, I remember us filling a dozen per bag and selling it discounted door to door, asking people if they would like some sweet corn to go with their dinner.

Then we'd go home and eat sweet corn for supper ourselves.

If our field was just doing alfalfa, then my uncle would hire us to help him with his corn field and sell his sweetcorn.  Never a dull summer!

Another thing that you just don't do outside of the midwest.  Detassel.  Every summer, a crew foreman would get together a group of young kids, roughly the age of 14 when they don't know any better and hire them for, usually, a three week stint of detasseling or walking beans.

Detasseling - is where you walk through a certain number of rows of field corn (not to be confused with sweet corn!!  Because field corn is mainly feed for cattle or made into corn oil, and other corn based products) but you pull off the top tassels.  


Then skip two rows and then the next set of rows get detasseled.  If you've seen fields of corn, one row can go on for a mile.  It's a hike and you WILL wreck whatever shoes you're wearing.  As well as the shirt, so wear an old long sleeved shirt because the corn whip will make your arms sting for days.  Your parents will drop you off at the break of dawn by a Piggly Wiggly where the foreman will pick you up in his borrowed school bus.  Bring a small cooler for your lunch and drink!  Then he'd bring you back by a certain time and your folks would pick you up.  I was only able to hack it as a 14 year old for a few days, if that.  SO miserable!!!  BUT it paid well!  Each of my kids did it and could make around 800 for three weeks of work if you don't skip days.


The purpose of detasseling is not just to give young people haunting dreams of their youth, but mostly for making hybrid corn.  You're basically helping the corn with reproduction.  ewwww...  There are a lot of seed companies in Iowa and other midwestern states.  It's big money.


Walking beans - is basically what it says.  A crew is hired to walk the thousands of rows of beans and cut down any weeds you see.  


Some kids get machetes, so THAT'S cool!  That's actually how Robb got a scar above one of his knees.  He was pretending it was a lightsaber and a friend was throwing dirt clods at him.  *thunk*

Some farms have money and will have a trailer where kids with umbrellas over them sit and spray the weeds.  SOME farms skip the kids entirely and use machines to zap any weed that is taller than the bean plants.  But back in the day, 35 years ago, those machines didn't exist or you didn't see them often.


So.  Those are some items that you might never have heard of if you didn't live in the midwest.  

YOUR turn!  Tell about something that is in your part of the country that no one outside of that region would have any idea of what you're talking about.

8 comments:

Jill said...

I didn't know you had a farming background....how did I not know that? :-) That is awesome I love your posts like this. I've moved so much to so many states I could probably write a book on different things, traditions, etc, lol. Hope you are having a great week! Trying to get caught up on my blogging and visiting again! :-)

Blessings,
Jill

Anne in the kitchen said...

Thank you for sharing this! I had never heard of this until I had a next door neighbor who detassled corn as a kid (She grew up in Illinois) I grew up in the city (not a huge city but I was still a city kid) and had never set foot on a real farm until I was about 10 or 11 so I can't tell you anything about farm life in the south other than it's hot.
Summers here were pretty much idyllic. We woke in the morning and had a list of house chores to do, and then we spent the day riding bikes or playing. This was before life was crazy and we could and did ride a mile or 2 in any direction without hitting a main road. Mom never worried about us doing anything we shouldn't be doing because we knew just about every person in the neighborhood and if we ever did anything wrong She knew about it before we returned. (Yes Madieline and Patricia, Mom heard about me throwing a rock at both of you before I ever got home)
I baked and sold cookies, and blackberry tarts to kids in the neighborhood for my spending money. Lucky for me there were a few families whose mom's did not know how to cook so my baked goods were in high demand.
After I turned 13 life changed and I started babysitting all the time, until I was old enough to get a "real" job at a drugstore soda fountain,
In high school I also ran a black market bubblegum operation. I would buy a bag of individually wrapped gumballs (grape and watermelon were the biggest sellers) and sell them from my locker for a nickel each. It was not a high profit operation, but I made enough each school year to buy me a couple of pairs of shoes.

Michelle said...

That sandwich has left me speechless.

mamahasspoken said...

Your memories of baling hay are better than mine. I.HATED.THAT.JOB!!! Got to the point that my mother let me stay home and cook dinner while she went into the fields to do my part. To this day, I can't look at a bale of hay without itching.
I remember growing tobacco. I also remember walking the fields looking for tobacco bugs which were this HUGE green caterpillar looking things. We would have to pick them off and squish them, usually in our hands. There are many other things we had to do, harvest, store in the barn, and strip it. Stripping tobacco was a long and tedious job. There are different grades of tobacco on just one stalk. You would strip it according to the grade you were in charge of (i.e. top grade, high middle grade, middle grade, low middle grade, and gruff). I ALWAYS got the gruff and it was the hardest to get off the stalks. After a night of stripping the tobacco, your hands would be sticky from the tar and it would take half a bar of soap to get it off. You always stripped tobacco in long sleeves because of the tar and the sticks would scratch your arms. We would get paid for all this when the tobacco crop sold. Don't remember how it was decided how much we would get but it was always enough to buy everyone a Christmas gift with a little left over for ourselves. Funny thing, my dad wasn't a farmer (he was a land developer) but he had the farm to keep my 5 brothers out of trouble. Somehow I got thrown into the mix too.

SAM said...

Fellow corn detassler here! Bought my first stereo with my earnings.

SAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Southern Gal said...

You're right. I've never heard of those jobs before! I can't think of anything right now because my mind is tired. But I'll try to think of something that would be something we only know about in the South. ;)

Southern Gal said...

Mama Bonnie. Mercy. Those tobacco worms are the WORST! I can't imagine squooshing them with your hands. Yuck! My mama's aunt and uncle had a tobacco farm so I've heard of those jobs before. Not fun at all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails