Friday, December 15, 2017

Lefse The Matta You

I made lefse yesterday!  If you don't know what that is, it's a potato based thin pancake that you serve with butter and sugar OR mashed potatoes, corn, cod and melted butter... Oh yum... I'm hungry again already.

We're celebrating our annual Norwegian Christmas dinner on Sunday night with my bestie and her husband. 

On the menu, boiled cod, mashed potatoes, mashed cabbage, Swedish meatballs (because you have to add SOME color to the meal) and there are lots of other things, but I don't have the menu handy.  I'm just going from memory.  I'll probably make bread too. 

Anyway, back to the Lefse.  Robb had found a recipe for it and since I had last night free, I decided to go for it. There was flour everywhere...  My clothes, hair, face, definitely hands, cell phone, floor, you name it.  Maddy called me on the Duo app about that time, so I cooked while she cut out Kindergarten crafts.  I'll take her howEVER I can get her!  Love talking to that girl.

Lefse is basically REALLY buttered up mashed potatoes, then you mix in enough flour to make it a dough.  Roll it as thin as you can and then fry it.  I started by using the directions and adding a bit of oil to the pan.  Then used spray.  Since this batch made so many, and the lefse was looking kind of greasy, I ended up just using a copper frying pan that we have and went oil-less.  That worked the best.  The lefse pieces started looking more normal and what I'm used to when shopping for them in the stores.  They're a potato crepe.

To serve them, we typically use butter and sugar (maybe with cinnamon) on some and then leave the others plain for the guests to dish on cod, mashed potatoes and anything else they want with loads of melted butter, of course. 

Kind of a Norwegian taco.

I don't have any pics of mine, but here is what they're supposed to look like.


Mine don't look this pretty...  
I'll take a picture on Sunday so you can see as they're in the freezer right now.

Gotta run.  I had this all typed up earlier today but must have lost it somehow.  Had to redo from scratch, but when has that ever worried me?

Have a great weekend and eats lots of Christmas cookies!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails