Monday, March 19, 2018

So Many Potatoes...



I started getting into the St. Patrick's Day mood on Friday and made a cheesecake to be used for our annual Irish meal on Sunday evening.  It had a bit of the blarney about it...  Don't you think?
and a lot of food coloring...


But then I baked it...  and I think my oven was too hot.


I was determined to salvage it, so I took a long knife and cut the top off.  And can I just say, yum?!?  Robb and I ate up the top pieces.
I made a cream cheese/sour cream/sugar/vanilla topping for it and let it chill.
No one guessed that it had been burned.


On Saturday morning, Robb, Meri and I had breakfast at Ryan's pub and got the full British breakfast buffet, then hit the road for Des Moines.


Met up with my SIL and her daughter, Sabrina.


Smile!


In between gigs, Meri and I hit a JoAnn's store and found THE fabric for her prom dress.  More on that another day.

Even though it was only 3 gigs that Robb participated in, it seemed like 15.  This last one was a tent jam packed with drunk rowdy people.  But they loved the bagpipes, so that made it worth while!  
It wore us out.  Not sure how many more years we'll be doing this... 


Here is a sampling.


THEN...  On Sunday afternoon, Robb and I finished up the St. Patrick's Day meal feast for our guests that evening.

In addition to the cheesecake, I slow cooked a bag of frozen blackberries, a bag of frozen blueberries, a little sugar and lemon (and a little cornstarch) into a sauce to be used over some little sponge cakes or over the cheesecake itself.  Not much of THAT left!


The Cod cobbler was a BIG hit!  We're finally perfecting these recipes!


The Dublin Coddle was fantastic!  Maddy DUOed just as we were putting the food out and this is her favorite.  Mine too!  We made her just a little jealous...  Sorry!


The traditional Shepherd's Pie...


And of course brown bread!


We also made Leeks in Cream Sauce which got gobbled up quickly.  and I'm trying to remember what else we made... oh yeah, Colcannon.  I thought that was in the crock pot too long on high.  But it was still tasty.  It's basically mashed potatoes with onions and cabbage mixed in.

This was a new dish that we thought we'd try this year.  Irish dinosaur nuggets with red sauce.
Leon said it was the best part of the meal.


Hard to believe he's part Irish...  SOMEDAY he'll like the other dishes just as much as we do...

What did you do to celebrate Wearing of the Green?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

My son (and his friends) went to the St. Pat's celebration in Nashville. The rest of us went to the dog show!

Linda said...

I was so ill with an earache that I forgot to wear the only green thing I own--a set of cheap sparkly bracelets--one shamrock green, a lighter green, and a clear one. I hate green, so the bracelet was my concession. It looks like you had a good celebration. I have never, ever heard of colcannon and now two bloggers I read mentioned cooking it.

Jane said...

Thanks for the wee bit of bagpipes :) For the first 18+ years of her life Kazi's favourite meal was chicken fingers. No matter where we went out to eat she'd order chicken fingers. However, in the past 7 or 8 years she's expanded to include...well, just about everything...I'm sure the same will happen with Leon :) All of your food looks amazing - you really get into it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails