Monday, November 12, 2018

Fast Forward Through The Weekend

I took Friday off, for the most part.  I did do some work from the car up until we hit some cell phone dead zones in Wisconsin...  There was snow!!  So Meri, Leon and I were in one car and took a slightly different route so we wouldn't get caught up in confusing Madison, Wisc.  If you're from Madison, let me just tell you.  It freaks Meri out!  This way added about 20 minutes to the trip but the scenery was so much prettier.  AND so many bigger than life sized statues along the way!  



Leon either read or played games on his tablet, then back to reading.  I thought for sure he'd vomit, but he didn't!  AND he finished the entire graphic comic book by the time we got there!  He was pretty proud of himself...  And so were we.  SURE it was Plants vs Zombies and all we heard the rest of the weekend were pea-shooter comments, but he's reading and that's what matters!


We got to Maddy and Matthew's mid afternoon.  In time to visit a little at the house and eat some dinner before going over to Maddy's school. The kids in their Christian school were having a Veteran's day concert that evening and it was wonderful!

 During the various military songs, people that served in that branch stood up.  When the Navy song came on, I looked around and saw one lone man stand up with the aid of his daughter, from his wheelchair.  *sob*  He sang along proudly.  

I think my eyes leaked for the rest of the concert.


The last song of the set was the Marine's Hymn and I recorded it for my Marine Dad!  I hope to play it for him soon.


The next morning, we all hit the now-indoor farmers market and Meri found some great finger-less gloves.  I'm going to be using them for a pattern (she doesn't know it yet) for some Christmas gifts coming up.  They look so easy to make, but she got compliments on them wherever we went this weekend.

Someone asked why fingerless.?...  Well, you see, it's for when you text and drive. ;)  Just kidding!!
I used them when working in my chill office during the winters and could still type, yet stay warm.

While there, Leon got some time in with a Santa look-a-like. 


Leon is smart and knew it wasn't the real Santa. 


We plan to call the real one directly when he gets home and gets his Christmas list together. 


I'm sure I have his number around here somewhere...


Then Matthew went to work and the rest of us did some grocery shopping and got some super cool Wisconsin dogs for lunch before heading back to the house.  Since Maddy and Matthew can't come to our place for Thanksgiving, Maddy decided to have Thanksgiving there this weekend!  AWESOME!!!  We brought some things and she got the rest.  

Then Meri, Maddy and I loudly sang Christmas songs and cooked in the kitchen while Leon played a computer game and Robb just covered his ears.  It was wonderful!  We made everything from the following menu.


While the turkey baked, the girls and I ran to Ross's Dress For Less and did a little shopping before dinner.

And here are the final products.  Robb loves his canned cranberry jelly, so that was easily done and chilled, but I love the real stuff, so that's what I made. 


Everything was delish and we were stuffed...  

We also played board games over the weekend at various times.  Since Leon reads really well now, he joined in!  For the game Say Anything, he really really did...  

Oddly specific...

We had to limit how many times he could answer with the word poop.  But he is a boy and boy oh boy, he is tickled by that word!

We also played Man Bites Dog and Leon was really good at putting together headlines for that one!
Thankfully the word poop was not in the cards...

He went off to do something else and the rest of us played a board game that we had given Matthew for his birthday back in September.  Trekking the National Parks.  It was SO much fun!

Especially since I won!

Early Sunday morning, like around 5:30, Meri headed back home alone in one car.  We had taken two out.  She needed to be back early for a children's theater practice that she is co-directing.

Everyone but Leon got up to see her off.  And it had snowed more.  Robb had warmed up the van for her and off she went.

After church and a fantastic church dinner, Robb, Leon and I prepared to leave.  But not until a snow ball fight ensued...


Wear off that energy kid!


Three bathroom breaks later, we were finally home.  We had a quick DUO call with Maddy and she and Matthew had already set up their Christmas tree and she was baking Christmas cookies!

That escalated quickly!

Two more weeks before I get to...  But I may listen to some Christmas music later...

2 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

Play that Christmas music loudly! I put it on every day (when I am at home by myself) It has made the insane amount of housework I have been doing a little more palatable.
Since you have already had a Thanksgiving meal I am pretty sure the music is legal anyway!

slugmama said...

Please tell me that Leon wrote the menu because potatoes is spelled wrong....lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails