Monday, April 22, 2019

I'd have no luck at all.

Wow, what a weekend!  Let me start off by saying Happy Easter!!!  

I don't know why I don't have someone snap a picture of me wearing things I've made.  Maybe because I don't want to see myself until I've lost 20 pounds...  Or I'm just forgetful and have too much on my mind at all times.  I'll go with that one.

Anyway, for Good Friday service, I wore the outfit that I wore for America's Got Talent and Mom's funeral. Black flowy top and knit pencil skirt with a slit.  

 The Tennabrae service is special, where the lights get dimmed a little every few minutes of the readings and I was suddenly struck by a memory of Mom that when I left the church in silence and darkness, I had to scrounge for a kleenex in the car.

On Saturday, Meri and Jen came over and helped Leon and I color some eggs.  


It was a glorious mess and they had a great time.


Then Meri, Leon, Robb and I went out for a late lunch to the grand opening of Meri's best friend's, mom's Mexican restaurant.  Meri and her bestie had been up til 5am, helping put the restaurant in order for the opening.  So when we got our bill, her food was not on it.  Awe... They're pretty great.

The food was delicious.  The mom has a taco truck that is usually out during the week but she decided to open the restaurant also.  It is undecided if the taco truck will continue.  So for a family run business, she's cooking up a storm still.  The daughters are waiting tables and her husband is taking care of everything they can't.

Leon had a hamburger, but it was really a thinly sliced steak sandwich.  He is the pickiest eater ever, so he was a real trooper to eat it all up.  I got a sandwich that I don't remember the name of.  Zumbago?  no...  don't remember.  


Meri got beef tacos and shrimp tacos.  The lime slice from her tacos saved my mouth from over burning on the chips and salsa...  :)  perfect.


Congrats to them!  I hope they're a huge hit.

When we got back, I sewed a skirt to go with the colorful top that I'd made a few weeks ago.  And yet again, have no proof that I sew for myself.  One of these days I'll have Meri over to help me do a style show...

On Sunday, we went to early church with a breakfast following.  It was great and I don't know about you, but the scent of lilies puts me in another place.  I love it!  

AND I forgot to get a pic of Meri next to the cross with lilies.  sigh...  Maybe NEXT Sunday.  The lilies will still be there.

Then we went home and scrambled to get lunch ready in time.  Jen had limited time to be here and Meri's foot was hurting.  So as soon as Jen arrived, I set them all off for the Easter egg hunt.  


It's kind of funny watching a 19 year old and 27+ year olds hunt for eggs, but as long as they're enthusiastic, go for it!  And of course, Leon was excited.


Leon left eggs behind for them to find.  He's so kind!  He was mostly hunting for the candies.

Then lunch with the china.  After all was cleaned away, Meri, Robb and I played a fun game of Apples to Apples.  She won.  

I was planning on spending the rest of the afternoon relaxing, but Meri asked if I'd go shopping with her.  SURE!  So we went to the mall and lo and behold, it was closed.  Oh yeah, it's Easter!

Walmart was open.  They're ALWAYS open, so we walked around in there and she kept putting things in the cart.  I found a T-ball for Leon.  It's been frightening to pitch a ball to him lately, as I'm afraid of getting killed...  

After hunting down a place that Meri is contemplating moving to next fall, we headed over to my besties to visit for a bit before heading home again.  Got there just in time to get on a DUO call with Maddy and Matthew!  Meri had to head home and wasn't able to come in because of her foot.

So about 10 minutes into the call with Maddy, I got a call from Meri.  

Um Mom?....

Oh boy...  

She had smelled burning rubber in the van and a light on the dash had come on.  "What's that light mean?"  I had her pull out the owners manual.  "Something about tire pressure."  

The traffic on the interstate was really bad so she couldn't get out to take a look right away, but kept me on the phone until she could.  Yikes...  the back passenger tire was shredded.

Well, THERE's the smell is coming from...

We hung up with Maddy and got the boy and several jack contraptions out into the car and headed off to rescue Meri.  

Meri helped out a bit, but with her broken foot, we told her to check on Leon.  She climbed in with him and they drew together.  Leon has a new sketch pad.

I have to tell you, I am NOT a fan of where Grand Caravan's hide their spare tire.  The shredded tire put the back corner of the van almost down to the ground and the spare is dead center underneath the drivers seat and the passenger seat.  REALLY???  

While Robb worked on getting the blow out jacked up and loosened, I poured through the manual to figure out how to lower the spare.  Got it all the way down with some extra cord to spare, but it's still in the center of the car underneath.  I am NOT going to crawl under there, from EITHER side.

Luckily, Robb told me that there was an ax in the trunk of our car.  

Do you know how scary that would look to a passers by to see a grown woman, carrying an ax,  walking toward a man sprawled on the ground by the side of the road?   hmmm.. I covered the ax with a floor mat and brought it to the van.  It worked fantastic to hook the spare and pull it out.  

The thing hooking the spare to the cover thing was so corroded with dirt that we couldn't get it to come free.  Robb hit the heck out of it and it probably won't work correctly anymore, but we did it get off.  The tire was finally switched to the donut and it was actually low on air.  So we caravan'ed to the closest convenience store to fill it up.  

Then dropped the shredded one off at our car guy.  He was closed of course.  It's EASTER!  So Robb took a pic of it and texted him.  

prefaced with ,"Our bad luck continues..."

If I had no bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...
Doom, despair and agony on me!
Heehaw: if you didn't already know.

1 comment:

Anne in the kitchen said...

Oh rats and mice! (My new replacements for expletives) The tire story is not fun and would have caused me to spew rats and mice

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails