Tuesday, May 26, 2020

A DOOZY of a weekend

Has anyone ever seen Tucker & Dale vs Evil?


Hilarious...  If you can get past a little language...

Anyway, I have had a DOOZY of a weekend.
There I was just doing chores around the house...

LOL!  

Actually on Friday night, Meri and Shub invited us over for a bonfire and s'mores.  DIET be Danged!
I started again on Saturday...


Ryan and Jen came along.



Leon's brother Finn, came for the weekend and ran around her yard with him, rolling around in the fresh mown grass.


AND the kid chair that I brought for them, either was too small for Leon or kept flipping Finn over onto his back while he ate his s'more.
Eh - finish it down there before you get up!



It was a really nice time!  AND I discovered a new kind of s'more using Reese's peanut butter cups instead of chocolate! YUM!...  

 I was in town on Saturday and for the 2nd day in a row, my cell phone started heating up.  I mean REALLY heating up...

And everything was super sluggish.

So I went into US Cellular to see what they can do about it.

Well... let me tell you, they can sell you a NEW phone!

So yeah, I got a new phone, a new phone plan and with that, I'm actually paying less each month than I was!  So there.

Unfortunately, because I had been complaining about how long it takes to charge up my phone and I only have ONE fast charging cable, Robb ordered me five more cables for my old phone.
Ummm This one takes the same kind as yours now...
BUT everyone else in the house uses the old style so he didn't cancel the order.

I'm getting used to this phone now.
It's definitely an adjustment period.

So I spent the rest of the days, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, well, outside of church and eating and sleeping and deep cleaning the living room during a thunderstorm, out in the yard.

And look what I found!!!!
My potatoes in the potato bags are growing!!!!
It took forever, but suddenly THERE they are!


I added some potting soil on top of them and look forward to letting them fill up with new potatoes!

I also added some pretty purple wool fabric to the two other growing areas in our yard and planted the bush beans and cucumbers.

I'm also laying piles of yard clippings on top of it to help hold it down.
and make it look a wee bit "not insane"...


After much deliberation and thought, I finally found the perfect spot to plant the grape vine!  In the corner of the back yard where the mower can't get into!  This way, I can hang a wire between in the chain link fence a foot or so above it and move it higher as it grows.

It's growing gangbusters already after just two days!
You can't see it from here...


The other grape vine had all but died.  And I mentioned it to Robb.
He said, "Remember that movie, A Walk in the Cloud, with Keanu Reeves?  *total chick flick* Their vineyard had burned down and all they had was a tiny smoldering stump left.  They were going to regrow all of their vineyard back again from just that stump.  It'll grow back."

AND HE WAS RIGHT!


I checked on the "dead" vine yesterday and wouldn't you just know it?  There was a green leaf on it!!!!  So I planted it yesterday in the opposite corner of the yard.  Will do some landscaping around it this week, I hope.

Yesterday, I took the two 100 foot extension cords and trimmed all around Meri's house and fence and her new garden area. Then brought it home and did the north fence of our house on both sides.

OH, I mowed the front yard early in the morning yesterday, thinking it would be super rainy all day.  It wasn't...  But while mowing, I was super careful next to these little water mains or little metal stumps on one side of our yard.  But suddenly the blade of my rider, dropped over one of them and sheared it off!  BANG!  dirt and grass everywhere.  

It looks like a crime scene...

I'll call City Hall today and find out what the damage is.  Nothing exploded or smelled like gas, so who knows what the purpose of those little beasts are!?!  I'm sure they'll know.  Probably $100 worth of purpose... Knowing my luck.
Update: called city hall.  It'll be $20 and they'll lower them closer to the ground! WOOHOO!

Oh, on Sunday, when in the back yard, Leon found a toad.  Mr Toady as he's called now.
He is part of the family now.  

Also as he was carrying Mr Toady out of the yard, I found these little hunnies in an indentation of the hill.  Aren't they adorable!?  We didn't touch them as we didn't want the Mommy bunny to abandon them.  


But the next day, when I was working out there again, I found that the night's rain had washed and drowned out four of them.  Two more were huddled together outside their burrow.  
So sad!!

OH!  Have you ever heard of being Quarant-wined?  In Central Iowa on FB, there is a group that if you find your town's post, you comment with your address and someone in the group may or may not drop off a basket of wine and goodies on your porch!!  On Sunday morning, look what Robb found on our Go Away mat!!  


SOOO many goodies in there!  And the wine glass has suckers in it too!


Because my last cork screw fell apart when I used it last, I wasn't sure when I'd be able to enjoy it, but Robb told me that he has a corkscrew on his pocket knife!  COOL!

I may enjoy a glass on the deck this evening, if it's not raining.

Yesterday, I took my MIL out to the cemetery to visit her husband's grave.
Since no service at the cemetery this year, we're celebrating Memorial Day remembering.

Names and dates removed.  Just 'cause.

She put some flowers out and we hung out for just a little bit.

And Leon requested Butterscotch-Cinnamon pie, so with Robb's suggestion of Butterscotch pudding mix and butterscotch chips and ground cinnamon, we created it.

Apparently in a game, Undertale that he plays, you eat this kind of pie to build up your strength or HP as he calls it.



He loved it!

Next year, I really want to go spend Memorial Day at my parent's cemetery.
Yesterday was the 1st anniversary of Dad's death.


It was pretty tough and I think that's why I try to keep so busy with everything.
It helps a lot to keep my mind busy.

So last night was pretty bad when I finally sat down to relax.

Well, THAT won't happen again!

1 comment:

Practical Parsimony said...

A Walk in the Clouds was one of the best movies I have ever seen. It's too bad about the bunnies. Maybe the mother is dead.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails